Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sevisin

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Hello,

I hope I'm in the right forum. I'm looking to create a custom feat that requires a drop down list (like Weapon Focus) of a list of custom abilities. Maybe it's because it's almost 2am, but I can't figure out how to make a unique/custom Group ID. When I put "Abcd" in "Group ID" in the Tags menu, it gives me the error "File....... - Thing 'cDK_03' (dynamic tag) - Group 'Abcd' not defined."

Maybe a good night's rest will help, but any thoughts or ideas will help. Thanks.
Sevisin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 10th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Is this for one of the existing game systems? If so, which one?

If this is about a game system you're creating, you'll need to formally define any tag groups you want to use before using them. If you need identity tags (which seems to be the case), you'll need to define them on the appropriate component (which is most likely in traits.str or equipment.str).
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sevisin

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM
@Mathias
Thank you for the reply. This is for 3.5. I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned that.
Sevisin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:49 PM
If you are adding new content to an existing game system, you cannot create new tag groups.

Please tell us what you're trying to accomplish, so we can help you figure out how best to handle that.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Are these custom abilities you created or ones that already exist? Either way, add a custom ability to a portfolio and check out the tags. You will see the following on all custom abilities:

component.BaseCustSp

Start with that in your custom expression. Then, depending on what the group is, you can use other tags such as "SpecSource.cHelpRgr" for all custom abilities available to rangers. There's also a tag for secondary abilities. If this is a group that doesn't share a tag, but that you created, you can create a User tag, give them the tag then do something like this as your custom expression:

component.BaseCustSp & User.???

Hope that helps.
Sendric is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Sevisin

Old March 10th, 2014, 01:19 PM
@Sendric
Thank you for the reply.

I'm building a Desert Kobold rogue build located at The Rouge Handbook at the bottom of the Builds section just for S&G's. Kind of a learning course for me since there are a number of abilities not yet implemented in Hero Lab (like Dragonwrought from Races of the Dragon. That feat requires the selection of a dragon type for various reasons (like +2 on a specific skill). The method I was going was like Weapon Focus where after you pick the feat, there would be a drop down list box that the user could select the dragon type they wanted. If I can finish the rogue handbook (with the missing feats and class substitutes), I'll post for the community so every rogue can be a BA rogue.
Sevisin is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 10th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Not sure if it would help, but there are custom dragon type selection items in the Custom - Core Book Mods.user file. They are xPickAcid, xPickBlack, xPickBlue, etc.
Sendric is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Sevisin

Old March 11th, 2014, 06:57 PM
@Sendric
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it's been a few days. Work and school keep me busy.
I'm looking in the Custom - Core Book Mods.user file now and the tag under the xPick<Dragon> is still User.
I have decided to go a different route since this seemingly simple task has proven to be overly difficult. Custom Feat has a section called Item Selection and a subsection called Select From... with a drop down list box with a number of selections (-None-, All Weapons, Attributes, ect...). How would I go about adding something in there? Maybe I can do a selection nest...?
Sevisin is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sevisin

Old March 11th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Okay, I think I have a solution...

In the test file, I have a custom Feat names TestFeat and two Custom Abilities and gave them a new tag via User Tags > - New Tag- and named it _Test. In TestFeat under Item Selection, instead of figuring out how to create a new item in the initial drop down list box, I decided to think simple and put User._Test in the Custom Expression textfield. When I tested it, the two custom abilities popped up. Here's hoping!
Sevisin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sevisin

Old March 11th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Okay, everything is working so far. However, I now have a nub question...

I pick the feat. The feat gives a drop down box with my custom abilities. I click on the custom ability and the field is changed. Now, how do I make the custom field perform its script? In this case, it's just a +2<skill>. For this example, I have a single Eval Script...
Post-Levels, 100, 1
#skillbonus[kHide] += 2

I'm looking into perform, but I'm just finding it difficult to sift through the links that have little to nothing to do with my question. : /
Sevisin is offline   #10 Reply With Quote