Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Alassirana

Old April 3rd, 2020, 07:46 AM
now, to begin with, I've got almost all the books I could need for pathfinder 1 (and won't be updating to pathfinder 2, as I do not like several basic assumptions in it). I have been gaming for many years, but, due to various problems, including a worsening case of vertical double vision, it's getting nearly impossible for me to use my tools as this is the only program out of what I use for my online tabletop gaming that I would have to use *monitor controlled* scaling in order to read well. The fact that you cannot in program alter the resolution, thus leading to very poor views for those of us with legitimate visual impairments, is troubling. Please, though you think that the classic version is dead, recognize that there are a lot of us (older gamers, in many cases) who have a hard time reading the screen properly at such tiny text sizes. My monitors use normal scaling (1080p) for most things, and it would be counter-intuitive to attempt to change one monitor merely for that one program when running or playing via vtt and voice chat. I imagine, if it got out, in fact, that you were working to integrate such 'disability friendly' features, the program (and others by this company) would get an even wider following, if you need the impetus for it. But yes, there are disabled gamers, and serving that community is an important part of business.

Alassirana
Alassirana is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Arazyr

Old April 3rd, 2020, 06:27 PM
I heartily agree with this. I'm not disabled, but I am getting older, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. And with computer monitors tending to get higher and higher resolution, having as many options to adjust font sizes as possible would be a great help!

I'm sure I'm not the only gamer getting on in years, and having visual difficulties. Heck, my father-in-law is also a gamer, and uses Hero Lab, and I am sure he would appreciate the ability to adjust the sizes to make them easier to read!

I do understand that it would entail work to be done to implement, but more options -- especially those that enable people to use the software who might otherwise not be able to -- is always a good thing. 8^)
Arazyr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 8th, 2020, 05:45 PM
I pointed out the lack of accessibility years ago. It pretty much got shrugged off.
EightBitz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 8th, 2020, 10:57 PM
Desktop Hero Lab is a pretty old app as such things go. The Windows Magnifier (and similar tools) is the normal solution for these applications that would need drastic UI reworks to support resizing the text or system scaling in any useful way.

Looking forward, if Hero Lab Online gets whatever game system(s) you use then you'll be able to use the Zoom function of your browser and it'll work just fine.

Last edited by Parody; April 8th, 2020 at 11:00 PM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 10th, 2020, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Desktop Hero Lab is a pretty old app as such things go. The Windows Magnifier (and similar tools) is the normal solution for these applications that would need drastic UI reworks to support resizing the text or system scaling in any useful way.

Looking forward, if Hero Lab Online gets whatever game system(s) you use then you'll be able to use the Zoom function of your browser and it'll work just fine.
I know people on disability who have to stretch their income far enough as it is without being beholden to a subscription fee. Also, the games they play are not supported in HLO.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 10th, 2020, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post

I don't know the exact code used in Hero Lab Classic, but I remember when having UIs that sized intelligently when zoomed in and out on Windows was high-tech stuff. Either that, or it worked like early Java where you didn't get to decide how your UI presented itself.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 10th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I know people on disability who have to stretch their income far enough as it is without being beholden to a subscription fee.
That's too bad (and I'm in that boat, actually) but that doesn't change how difficult it would be to redo the UI or how likely it is that LWD would spend their time on this aspect of HLC vs. anything else they're doing (especially if those other things include a reasonable alternative).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Also, the games they play are not supported in HLO.
Thus why I said "Looking forward, if...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
I don't know the exact code used in Hero Lab Classic, but I remember when having UIs that sized intelligently when zoomed in and out on Windows was high-tech stuff. Either that, or it worked like early Java where you didn't get to decide how your UI presented itself.
Yeah, and you can't blame folks for working with the technology and limitations of the time. Backwards compatibility is a double-edged sword. :(

Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 10th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
It wasn't so bad when all screens remained at ~95dpi, it got a lot worse when people started to think they needed a pixel density much higher than this.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Alassirana

Old April 11th, 2020, 01:41 AM
unfortunately, at least as far as I can tell, magnifier is absolutely unusable for me. Because I cannot easily move where it's focused while changing things and editing, I really can't use it...about 10x as many steps as are needed to see anything. And, again, I despise some of the new systems because of basic game design choices they've made (tying stats to class/race combinations is a big one, as I, and many of those I play with, like playing 'outlier' characters, those who have distinct drawbacks instead of being fully 'balanced')...It is a shame that the company does not consider something like upgrading the view, because some of the more common options just don't work for a lot of us. And when *every* other program that I need allows me to adjust in window, that's making this less usable almost daily. (note: my problem is due to vertical double vision, which makes small text almost completely illegible due to 'overlap', so getting larger text is really the only choice for me).
Alassirana is offline   #9 Reply With Quote