Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old April 26th, 2017, 02:38 PM
When I am adding a lot of new material into a realm and I want it in a container I want to be able to create it and open it in the current tab. Unfortunately, my options are to create a new item that doesn't open or create a new item that opens in a new tab. If I open in a new tab while I am adding a lot of new information I would have dozens of tabs instead of one.

Can we please get a third option to create a new item and open in current tab before I go insane with dozens of open tabs or bouncing between creating and opening?
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 26th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Amen +1

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 26th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Maybe the problem is trying to replace the current tab which is currently open for editing.

After you have created the new tab, when you've saved and finished editing the current tab, you can press Ctrl+F4 to close the current tab. This then puts you onto the new tab (assuming you don't have lots of other tabs left open)>
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 26th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Maybe the problem is trying to replace the current tab which is currently open for editing.

After you have created the new tab, when you've saved and finished editing the current tab, you can press Ctrl+F4 to close the current tab. This then puts you onto the new tab (assuming you don't have lots of other tabs left open)>
This is good to know, but it is still adding unwanted steps. I may have one or two other tabs open to compare formats but I always work from one tab. I would rather save what I was working on then bring up the new one in the same tab without having to worry about closing it first. It's like surfing the web then clicking on a bookmark. Most people don't close the tab first before opening the bookmark.
ruhar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 26th, 2017, 08:28 PM
The thing is if you go to the individual categories and use those to create new topics it does create the new topic in the current tab. So there is no problem with having it happen.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 26th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The thing is if you go to the individual categories and use those to create new topics it does create the new topic in the current tab. So there is no problem with having it happen.
I still have to either select the container option or drag it to the container. All I'm asking for is a third option. My request got an Amen +1 so I'm not alone. You should try entering a whole book of rules or a module with a deadline looming over you and not have shortcuts to make the job easier. You would be on the forum begging for them.
ruhar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 27th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I still have to either select the container option or drag it to the container. All I'm asking for is a third option. My request got an Amen +1 so I'm not alone. You should try entering a whole book of rules or a module with a deadline looming over you and not have shortcuts to make the job easier. You would be on the forum begging for them.
You misunderstand.

I was supporting the argument that this can be done.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 27th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Actually, except for the deadline part, I am doing that. I am working my way through all of the Pathfinder rule books.

The approach I have taken is that the parent topic will need links to the children listed in the same order as they appear in the book (sections and sub-sections, for example) while the topics themselves will sort alphabetically under the containing topic. So I create the names of the child topics in snippets, highlight them, hit Ctrl+Q, set the container to the current topic, and create each one in turn this way. Then I save the current working topic and make sure the auto-linking sets each to be linked. After that, I can move to each in turn and fill in the text.

For example, I am currently working on magic items. The section on Rings has a random table for determining which ring is found. I format the table in Word (as discussed in another thread) and copy-paste into Realm Works. Then I go down the table, highlighting each Ring entry and creating it as a child under the main entry. Once all have been created, I save the main topic and make sure they auto-link properly. Then I can fill in each Ring's details one-by-one.

That makes me think it is also possible that the way things work now is the "best compromise" .. because automatically switching to the new topic would be disruptive to someone doing things like going down a list to create a number of child topics in turn. If I had to use the BACK button to get back to the main list topic after each entry while working along a list of 50 or so, that would really really suck.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote