Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Endtransmission

Old December 17th, 2013, 08:56 PM
For a data file I'm working on I need to create a new tracker, similar to the Bennies one, to track the player's Dementia level. This is user controlled and will be going up and down throughout the gaming session.

I've had a look at the Bennies example in the wiki on the Tracking Resources page (http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....s_%28Savage%29), but you can't seem to create new Components in data files? It's certainly erroring for me, saying that the term Component is unknown.

So, I've switched to looking at using the Permanent Adjustment system instead, but this has it's own issues. These Adjustments function perfectly when they are manually added, however, everyone in the setting needs this tracker to be added at creation time.

I have tried to bootstrap a permanent adjustment to the setting, unfortunately it doesn't appear on any of the tabs or panes so it cannot be used? I've added a fixed value to one of the attributes in the adjustment to make sure that it is being bootstrapped, which it is, but it just doesn't appear and I cannot see how to specifically target which portal it appears in.

The wiki seems to suggest that I can also use Autoadd (http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....ent_%28Data%29), which allows me to specify the Portal area... unfortunately this doesn't seem to be supported in Datafiles either?

So. Question for you all... how the heck do I get a tracker added to either the Personal or In-Play screens automatically when a character is created?

Working on: Official Achtung! Cthulhu datafiles
Endtransmission is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Create a mechanic as well as your tracker, and then on the Mechanic, press the bootstrap button in the top right, and add your tracker as a thing it bootstraps.

All mechanics are added to all characters, so the tracker will be added along with the mechanic.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old December 18th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Neat, thanks. I will give that a go in a bit

Endtransmission is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old December 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Hmmm That has exactly the same issue as just bootstrapping the Adjustment to the setting... I can see the fake effect taking place, but the Increment counter doesn't appear on the Personal or In Play tabs?

Can I just check that I've got these right?

Code:
<thing 
    id="acChar" 
    name="mechACChar" 
    compset="Mechanics" 
    summary="Add Dementia to character" 
    uniqueness="unique">
    <usesource source="sepActCth"/>
    <bootstrap thing="adjACDmnt"></bootstrap>
</thing>

<thing
  id="adjACDmnt"
  name="Manage Dementia"
  compset="Adjustment"
  description="Modify the user's Dementia value..."
  uniqueness="useronce">

<fieldval field="adjMinimum" value="0"/>
  <fieldval field="adjMaximum" value="10"/>
  <usesource source="sepActCth"/>
  <tag group="AdjustShow" tag="Increment"/>
  <tag group="Helper" tag="UserAdjust"/>
  <tag group="InPlay" tag="PermOK"/>
  <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5000"><![CDATA[
      var ACDmnt as number
      var bonus as number
      ACDmnt = field[adjUser].value
      perform #traitadjust[trACDmnt,+,20,"Increased dementia"]      
      ]]>
      <before name="Calc trtFinal"/>
  </eval>     
</thing>
Ooooh wait. Sorry, you meant to bootstrap my earlier attempt at recreating the Bennies tracker?

Looking through the wiki and the SW data files, I can't see how to create a tracker within a setting data file? They all look to have their own Component and Compset? Something like:

Code:
<component
  id="cmpDmnt"
  name="Dementia"
  autocompset="no">
  <tag group="SpecialTab" tag="Dementia"/>
  <eval index="1" phase="Render" priority="5000"><![CDATA[
    field[spcName].text = "Dementia: (" & #trkmax[trkDmnt] & " )"
    ]]></eval>
 </component>

<compset
  id="csetDmnt">
  <compref component="Tracker"/>
  <compref component="SpecialTab"/>
  <compref component="cmpDmnt"/>
  </compset>

<thing
  id="trkDmnt"
  name="Dementia"
  compset="csetDmnt">
  <fieldval field="trkMin" value="0"/>
  <fieldval field="trkMax" value="3"/>
  <tag group="Helper" tag="Bootstrap"/>
  <tag group="Helper" tag="ResetMax"/>
  <tag group="Helper" tag="NoMaxBound"/>
  </thing>
If I have this in the .user file it errors claiming not to know what a component is?

Last edited by Endtransmission; December 18th, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Endtransmission is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 18th, 2013, 10:57 AM
You mentioned a "new tracker", so I assumed that you were having trouble getting that tracker onto the character. It looks like your code is bootstrapping an adjustment. Didn't you want it to bootstrap a tracker? (or bootstrap both?)
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old December 18th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I've tried both. I want some way of tracking a number on the character sheets and don't particularly care which option gets used.

If I bootstrap an adjustment it gets bootstrapped to the character, but doesn't appear on any of the forms.

If I try to add a Tracker it fails to load the data file claiming that the term Component is unknown.

The Tracker would probably be my preference so it appears on the In Play tab along side the Bennies one

Endtransmission is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 19th, 2013, 03:29 AM
What about using a Trait? Setting it up just like Sanity, but just with a base value of 0? Although using a tracker is probably a bit nicer in look if you did have it set up rather like Bennies, but then again is it expected that Dementia will vary every game the same amount that Bennies or Wounds might?

I tend to put several Temporary Adjustment trackers on my In-Play tab for checkable conditions (like a -1 Parry with the note for Wild Attack so I can check it to remind myself if I used Wild Attack that round) and maybe having a way to automatically include something like that from within a data file would be helpful, too. That's probably another topic, though...

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Endtransmission

Old December 19th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Dementia carries across from game to game, but varies a lot based upon situation.

For example when you encounter a nasty creature you have to make fear or terror tests and this can grant a number of Dementia points. Once your dementia equals or exceeds your Sanity, then you lose another sanity point. Some situations, such as sitting quietly for a few hours meditation, or some therapy or spells can reduce the Dementia levels again.

As we need to have a count of your Dementia level it felt neater to have a Tracker like the Bennies. It could (and was before I thought of the tracker/adjustment counter) be handled as wounds, but it didn't feel *nice*.

Plus it's now got to the point that I really want to see a tracker or permanent adjustment be bootstrapped otherwise it'll frustrate me no end

Endtransmission is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 19th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I hear you there. Always good for all of us to understand what other options we've got available! And I agree, that does sound a lot more like a Tracker kind of thing, to be honest. Something that, like bennies, could vary quite a bit in any given game session.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 21st, 2013, 05:34 PM
For Glory in Hellfrost I created a new Derived Trait and then used Permanent Adjustments to add points to it.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is online now   #10 Reply With Quote