Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

morval

Old February 17th, 2017, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togainu View Post
For bug reports check here. A bug is anything you think isn't working as it should be.
Sometimes I just want to check with others and see if my reasoning is correct before I report something as a bug. When its obvious I do report it in the proper place. I'm glad they finally fixed the Fate's Favored bug, I would constantly forget to add an extra +1 to my Luck bonuses.
morval is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old February 17th, 2017, 04:50 AM
If you're unsure of how something stacks, or does not stack, and so do not know if your issue is ignorance of the correct rule or if a bug has been discovered...

I like to post, asking how it should work.
There are a lot of rules savvy people on the Giant In The Playground forum.
Not that you cannot post here with... how should this work?
Ualaa is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 17th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morval View Post
I didn't ever really think that Herolab wouldn't enforce most things. I realize it enforces as much as it can and there are warnings put out when it isn't able at this time to enforce something for whatever reason. I always thought the main reason I use Herolab is it does all the math and rules checks for me, at least as much as it can. Why does it bother enforcing stacking rules, or if you can choose a feat then? Of course you can't do every perceivable thing with a complex thing such as Pathfinder always, but isn't the purpose of Herolab to try and strive to enforce the rules as much as possible? I'm not complaining, just thats the main reason I use Herolab. When it doesn't enforce the rules I live with it, but with the way characters are getting more complex all the time I've got so many things I already have to enforce manually and keep track of I really like it when Herolab does it for me.
So the big difference there (as I noted in the other thread) is that Adjustments are not themselves part of the rules of Pathfinder (or any other game systems). Adjustments are "widgets" you can add to a creature to alter it. Some of them are done to apply the changes that result from spells. Others are there to help implement house-rules for GMs (change the number of Feats, add/remove skills, etc.). In that case, since the intent of some Adjustments is to allow the user to build something different from the standard rules, it would be self-defeating for the Adjustment to flag itself.

Feats, (bonus type) stacking rules, skill points, and so on are spelled out in the Pathfinder rules at the core as the "standard case", like with level progression and the classes themselves. So HeroLab can implement them, and does. Spell effects, class abilities, racial abilities, and so on are exceptions to these "standard cases"... and are implemented as such. GMs who want to modify these core things often need to use the Editor to create new special abilities or Mechanics to alter the way things work for one creature or as the new "standard" for all. Or, in some cases, they can use an Adjustment to achieve the same effect.

So since Adjustments themselves are not part of the rules, but are tools to apply changes to the character, is it somehow how of a burden for the user to be expected to know when it is and is not appropriate to add "Enlarge Person" than it is to know when to add "Feats, Number" and give himself 20 more Feats?

Pathfinder is indeed complex. Just as it can be difficult for a GM or player to know every rule, it is sometimes more daunting to try to implement every rule in a software tool. And to allow for every variation of "not usually, but in THIS case... " that comes out. So HeroLab implements the core, and places warnings on things that have requirements (Feats, Traits, Deity choices) where appropriate.. but because GMs often say "normally you can't, but ok this time" for all kinds of things, it doesn't force you not to do something.
Silveras is offline   #13 Reply With Quote