• Please note: In an effort to ensure that all of our users feel welcome on our forums, we’ve updated our forum rules. You can review the updated rules here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=5528.

If a fellow Community member is not following the forum rules, please report the post by clicking the Report button (the red yield sign on the left) located on every post. This will notify the moderators directly. If you have any questions about these new rules, please contact support@wolflair.com.

- The Lone Wolf Development Team

Hero Lab Classic 64-bit Mac Open Beta

DaveM

Staff member
64-bit Mac version is no longer in Beta. Version 8.9 and higher is 64-bit only for the Mac.

We are releasing a beta version of Hero Lab for the Mac today that is 64-bit and thus compatible with the new macOS Catalina (10.15) (which is itself currently in beta).

This beta may be installed safely on top of existing 32-bit versions, allowing either version to be used at any time. The gamesystems will automatically re-compile when switching versions, but otherwise they should be able to share data seamlessly.

If problems are discovered in the Beta, you may always revert to the original application. Any issues with the Beta, please report to our support email or in this forum.

[UPDATE] The beta has been updated and is now located at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/playtest/hl89_mac_64bit_beta899_install.dmg

And this is mirrored at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/playtest/hl89_latest_mac64_beta.dmg

Last edited:
I installed the beta today. It installed fine and asked to reinitialize my license key, which it did without a problem. After restarting Hero Lab the problem is that it says my game system is not licensed for this license (Pathfinder in my case). I reactivated the license again from the program itself, but upon restart still get the same issue with the game system running in demo mode. Any ideas?

I’ve been able to open Pathfinder, Shadowrun (4&5), and Savage Worlds without problem. I’ve made new character but have not saved yet.

I installed the beta today. It installed fine and asked to reinitialize my license key, which it did without a problem. After restarting Hero Lab the problem is that it says my game system is not licensed for this license (Pathfinder in my case). I reactivated the license again from the program itself, but upon restart still get the same issue with the game system running in demo mode. Any ideas?

Which version of macOS are you working with? I have had at least one other person report this same issue who is using 10.15 beta, but I am unable to reproduce it in 10.13 or 10.14.

I'm seeing the same "unlicensed" problem as well. Running macOS 10.14.5. Specifically, it is telling me I'm not licensed for the Pathfinder content I've purchased.

I have tried both the prime and the mirror and get the installed app won't open. The error is that the app id damaged and should be placed in the trash. The installer completes with no error. Issue is the same from both sources.

Same here. Here is a screen shot of the error dialog I see when I try to open this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 1.14.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 1.14.42 PM.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 3
Sorry about the issue - there was a problem with the codesigning that Apple interpreted as an error. This has been repaired, and a new version of the installer (at the same location) should fix this.

codesigning fixed. Install complete from primary. Did not bother trying mirror.

Thank You Dave, have fun at Gen Con.

I've updated the Mac beta again. Please download this version and give it a shot!

The new installer is at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/playtest/hl89_mac_64bit_beta889_install.dmg

And this is mirrored at:

https://www.wolflair.com/download/playtest/hl89_latest_mac64_beta.dmg

I am running the 10.15 beta, and both the mirror and installer link bring up the "can't be scanned for malicious software" error. I was able to get it to open by secondary clicking and choosing open to bypass Gatekeeper. I'm not sure if some of the code signing requirements changed between 10.14.6 and 10.15, but it may be an issue to look into.

On the positive side, I'm not getting the "trial version" error anymore, which is wonderful.

Last edited:
The beta is very unstable and has a limited number of app producers included so I’m not surprised. We’ve pulled it as there is nothing to learn from it in actual production machines compared to the loss of stability and output. The new toys are nice but just not worth it on a production machine

Clarification: Speaking about Apple beta of the Catalina OS, Not the LWD 64 bit beta. I am currently having no issues with the LWD beta running on Apple OS 10.14.5

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is that with the 64 bit beta - If I install it along with my non-64 bit version and I try to use HLExport with the older version, I get a message that the Version of HL doesn't match the version of the tool (8.9).

That's not a big deal, but just thought would bring it up. :)

Back