Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 2nd Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lemantia

Old February 22nd, 2020, 06:29 PM
Hi,

I'm about to start a campaign of PF2E with my group, all of us are newcomers to this edition, having played a lot of 5E. As a DM for our 5E current campaign, I love dndbeyond for the DM and player tools it offers, so as we're about to start a PF2E campaign, I figured I would look at the alternatives for this system.

I've tried the free demo of the online builder, and I must say - I'm impressed. Everything seems very smooth, and having all of my spells descriptions just one click away is always wonderful. So now I'm looking at what I should buy, what the DM view will be, and what I have to tell the other players. So my questions, in order:

1) I see that I can buy the bestiary for 13$, as a player, is there a point for me ? Besides summoning spells, perhaps ?
2) I see an Age of Ashes add-on going on for 10$... It seems a bit steep to me, considering how little I might use of it. As a player, is there a point for me to buy it, or could I just wing it, creating "custom" magical items when I get them ?
3) Kinda related to 1 & 2, but everyone who wants to use Hero Lab needs to buy the content separately, I presume ? So, say, if my DM (or another player) buys the Bestiary pack, or the Age of Ashes Character Content pack, this won't help me in any way ?

To sum everything up to a single question: if I want my group to all use hero lab (because I know how much better it makes life for a DM to have access to all information in a centralised location), what do each of us have to buy ? Is it sufficient to get the 35$ "upgrade" license for each player ? Does the DM need it too ?

Thanks in advance for any clarity you might bring me on this !
Lemantia is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 24th, 2020, 09:28 AM
If you are a player, it is probably worth waiting until the official announcement before 24th February about group licenses. It might be cheaper for the GM to do things first.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote