Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

defrost1836

Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:43 PM
I just purchased RW and have been through the tutorials and I have a question. I will likely be using this as a GM reference guide in game for me and will not use this to open up information to the players. I love the look of the "player view" as is much cleaner and seems like it would be easier to follow while running a session. Is there a way to see all of the content in player view? I know I could just check "reveal" on everything; however, this would still hide any GM only snippets.

I am sorry if this has been covered. I searched a couple of different times on the forums and on the web and could not find anything that addresses this. Ahy help would be appreciated.

Great product, BTW.
defrost1836 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old November 4th, 2016, 07:52 AM
You're struggling with Realmworks cluttered and poor interface.

However player view is not the answer (no tabs and hard to use for viewing all snippets in a topic).
adzling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 5th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Just to throw in another opinion (and not to start a war :-) ):

I like the interface just fine.

And I agree, the player view is not what you should use.

Maybe the (opening RW here to get the right terms) View Assignment system is useful for you.

You can assign any topic to one or more views (or none). This enables you to only have those topic present in a certain view visible. If you have an entire world in your realm and the party is running through some quests in one single city, you can set up a "city X view" containing only topics for that one city. You will then only see those topics in the interface - very useful.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old November 7th, 2016, 08:00 AM
I agree with Vargr. You can create special views. also is a bit of prep time before play I open up several tabs.
1 View of the plot with its various links to others plot points. (plotview)
2 View of the scene topic the players are currently working in.
3 View of mechanic subjects. This is if I want to check a certain rule or need some background on a monstertype.
4 Notes tab. Here I write down notes about what happens.
5 (Optional) tabs for principal adversaries so I have their information quick at hand.
6 (Optional) tab for the general location. To give information about the settlement they are.

This gives easy access during a game to the most important topics.
Cornelius is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 7th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
I agree with Vargr. You can create special views. also is a bit of prep time before play I open up several tabs.
1 View of the plot with its various links to others plot points. (plotview)
2 View of the scene topic the players are currently working in.
3 View of mechanic subjects. This is if I want to check a certain rule or need some background on a monstertype.
4 Notes tab. Here I write down notes about what happens.
5 (Optional) tabs for principal adversaries so I have their information quick at hand.
6 (Optional) tab for the general location. To give information about the settlement they are.

This gives easy access during a game to the most important topics.
Now this is great advice, never even considered this.

Once again, little extra prep can pay off in game time.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
defrost1836

Old November 7th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the response. What helped a lot for me was the "clear all snippets and sections" command. That really helped to cut down the clutter on each page. I like the idea of opening up multiple tabs.
defrost1836 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 7th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Don't forget pre-loading the Player View with stuff that you'll be wanting during the session!
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 7th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Don't forget pre-loading the Player View with stuff that you'll be wanting during the session!
To be clear "pre-loading" only works on the computer that is actually going to be used to run the game from. In example I often work on a desktop doing prep work then I sync down to my laptop to run the game at the table. The "Tabs" and player view I setup on the Desktop does not come along with the sync to the laptop.

I understand why it doesn't and in some ways I like that the two computers can have different "states". In other ways I sort of wish the open tabs and player view would sync between systems.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 7th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Huh. I would sync to the laptop the night before the game, then spend a little time setting up the laptop for the game session. So everything is ready when I open the laptop and start the game.

Two different approaches, I guess...
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 7th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Huh. I would sync to the laptop the night before the game, then spend a little time setting up the laptop for the game session.
I am sure sense I don't think you actually "sleep" you would have time do to this the night before.

Me I am still often doing prep-work minutes before my players arrive. So RW tab setup is often being done while the players chit chat.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote