Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Thorgred

Old January 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Some of you who are interested in Games Workshop happenings may have seen the fuss currently being made over ChapterHouse Studios - a company who were making replacement parts for GW models. Whilst the merits of their case are another discussion, I was wondering if Lone Wolf have ever been in strife over the data files you produce.
Is there a written/unwritten agreement with GW (or other companies, but GW is the big one)? Or do you get away free by having the data files written and hosted by third parties?
Thorgred is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Spack
Volunteer Data File Author

Old January 16th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Army Builder does not include any GW IP, so there is no issue. The data files are written by third parties, the AB software itself is generic.

Dan
AB40k Site Admin
http://www.ab40k.org - home of the AB40k maintainers
Spack is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Thorgred

Old January 17th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I understand that is the theory, was just wondering if any company had pushed against that. How about the data file writers, do you get any hassles from the company whose games you write for.?
Thorgred is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Spack
Volunteer Data File Author

Old January 17th, 2011, 04:34 AM
So far in the past few years I've been admin for the AB40k site I've had no contact from GW. AB itself generally is well thought of at GW (at least from the staff I've talked to at Warhammer World in the UK when I've arranged events there), although that's not the official line.

So long as the files require the codexes to actually use (putting all the special rules including full text, for instance, could be an issue) then I don't forsee us having any issues, and we have a minimum 1 month embargo on new codex releases getting into the files which helps too as we're not publishing new stats from day one.

Of course GW might change their minds in the future, but for now they have decided not to take action, and all of the AB40k team are volunteers so there is no money being made from GW IP.

If you search the forums here on WL you can find info from Rob about history with GW, http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=8008

Dan
AB40k Site Admin
http://www.ab40k.org - home of the AB40k maintainers

Last edited by Spack; January 17th, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Spack is offline   #4 Reply With Quote