Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

morval

Old August 5th, 2016, 12:43 AM
I have read the other threads, but some were older so I thought I'd bring it up again.

I'm trying to get back into RealmWorks after backing it and then leaving it alone for a year or so. I know most don't seem to want this, but what I really wanted was a way to let the players have access to the whole world in realtime. Player mode is exactly what I wish the players could have access to. Player view to me just seems a bit too much work. I realize what it is trying to do, control what the players see, just what the DM is telling at the time, a way to focus the players attention on certain things, but I like the way RW looks and navigates much better than player view.

I'd love to be able to have player mode on a 2nd screen and I can navigate for the players, I just like the layout better and its much quick than having to designate which items to show in player view and then show them.

Hopefully that's what the player Web experience will be like which would be perfect for me, the players could have one notebook hooked up to the TV and when someone tries to remember so and so's name they just look it up without me having to take the time to do it.

One reason I loved the idea of RW for the players is we sometimes don't play for many many months at a time. The players just aren't all going to do their homework and look up things before the next session. But having everything their characters know at their finger tips,could I feel, make things go so much quicker and smoother.

So I'm not missing something, player mode can't be on a separate screen, correct? Will the player Web experience be more like Player mode? Synced realtime with changes the DM does?

Awesome product I have to say, I just wish there was a way to download everything from my brain to RW so I wouldn't have to enter everything from scratch!
morval is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 5th, 2016, 01:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that you can't run RW as DM and show the Player View at the same time. You can switch to viewing it as players will see it, but then you lose all your DM-specific information and the ability to reveal more stuff as you go along.

It would be easier to have RW on a separate tablet computer or laptop that the players can use. But you will not be able to sync it live. I don't think the Web will be a live sync either.

Lots of other threads on this. Live sync not a priority right now. I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old August 5th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Wrong. You have a player view that you can put on the second screen.

Look at the Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ec7XQNwmp4
eponette is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Although it will not be a live synch, it can be used to search through items that were revealed the last time. So if you want them to look up the Evil critter they encountered the last session they can do that. They cannot see the critter they have encountered in the last scene, unless you reveal it on a second monitor (as eponette stated).
Cornelius is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
morval

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can't run RW as DM and show the Player View at the same time. You can switch to viewing it as players will see it, but then you lose all your DM-specific information and the ability to reveal more stuff as you go along.

It would be easier to have RW on a separate tablet computer or laptop that the players can use. But you will not be able to sync it live. I don't think the Web will be a live sync either.

Lots of other threads on this. Live sync not a priority right now. I wouldn't hold your breath for it.
Web won't be live sync either, yikes. Thats too bad. OK, just gotta live with what they give us I guess. Its just that player mode is exactly what I want, its perfect. Player view is too much work having to show each thing you want and each item is its own window, etc. but I'll live it.

Thanks!
morval is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
morval

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Although it will not be a live synch, it can be used to search through items that were revealed the last time. So if you want them to look up the Evil critter they encountered the last session they can do that. They cannot see the critter they have encountered in the last scene, unless you reveal it on a second monitor (as eponette stated).
Ya I realize that from all the other threads on this, just didn't realize that the web version will not be live sync. Oh well.
morval is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
morval

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
Wrong. You have a player view that you can put on the second screen.

Look at the Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ec7XQNwmp4
I think MNBlockHead meant player mode. Yes player view can be on a second monitor, but its just not what I envisioned the players getting, too much work for the GM. Players want to review something you need to go to that item and show it in player view. Plyer mode is exactly what is needed. Then you can quickly show them anything they have permission to see by navigating around as you do in GM mode.

No complaints, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Will just get by.
morval is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
morval

Old August 5th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Yup, I'll probably just live with that. Maybe even do a quick sync and then enter again so they see the info when a bunch of changes during session occur. Its not that bad. Just not what I was hoping for.
morval is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 5th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Live sync is on the agenda. But I wouldn't guesstimate it'll be before 2018. Shifting from the current system to a live update seems like it would require a significant change to the underlying engine to achieve.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 5th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Yes, sorry about being sloppy with the terms. You can display player mode on a second screen which is for the DM to show a map or certain items, generally only one or a couple things at a time. But there is no way to easily have players using the player edition in a manner where you can easily keep the DM's version and the player's versions in sync for the current game.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote