Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MagicSN

Old January 24th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
If the Wolf Pack could have gotten the license, you wouldn't have needed the D&DI subscription to get the data via the downloader. Because LWD only provided a data framework and no actual data, they're not violating any copyright claims by Hasbro Inc. or it's subsidiaries (which WotC currently is). The only way you'll get some of the data is unfortunately adding it through the editor, particularly the Essentials line of books. Somewhere between the core books and Essentials they altered the formatting on the insider site to where the downloader couldn't read some of the essentials data, and I don't think the downloader was ever fixed to acquire it, sadly.
I think this might very well be there argumentation (WotC's/Hasbro's), but it is a BAD argumentation. DDI adds a lot of value asides from Hero Lab - full searchable database, Dragon/Dungeon magazine. And a lot of people just take it to support the makers of D&D ^^

Also other Pen&Paper RPGs sell their stuff as well, and support extra character editors. Pathfinder. And even the german "Midgard" has it's "Magus" Character editor (if I remember right with the "blessing" of the makers of "Midgard").

The situation how it is to what does it lead people? It leads to "D&D Character editor is buggy". Giving Wolfslair a licence is I think a Win-Win situation. Not even considering a licence fee they could charge from Wolfslair.

(I have been years in the business of writing software ports of (non Pen&Paper Related) games licenced from originally software - I know how this stuff works... never never never before I found a behaviour like WotC/Hasbro.
Even Activision would give out licences of their top games against money. I think WotC has not thought the whole thing through properly.

MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #11 Reply With Quote