Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old September 30th, 2017, 03:46 PM
I have been adding all the spells for the game system I use into RW and have discovered something I think should be added to the way the RW interface layout works. In RW everything is added per line in an article or subject, aka everything is placed vertically meaning up and down. Unless one creates a table, which does not work for everything.
For example: In 5ed D&D spell descriptions you have; Casting TIme, Range, Components, Duration, and the description. When entered into RW you have no choice but to list them like this in a vertical configuration (though in any order you prefer):
Casting Time:
Range:
Components:
Duration:
Description:
Wouldn't it be better and a space saver if you could list the separate sections side by side in a horizontal configuration? For example:
Casting Time:______________ Range:___________
Components:______________ Duration:__________
Description:
Is there anything like this in the idea bin for RW?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 30th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Until/unless LWD gives us far greater control of the control layout that isn't possible.

I don't recall anyone asking for anything like this before but I would assume that it would come up more as the web version became a thing.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old September 30th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Until/unless LWD gives us far greater control of the control layout that isn't possible.

I don't recall anyone asking for anything like this before but I would assume that it would come up more as the web version became a thing.
I don't see why it isn't a feature already.

So far I am not very convinced the web version is a great thing. I like the idea of a program I have on my PC, but I don't like the idea of having to use their cloud services so my players can have access to the games RW database. But I relent on that because I have no choice.

Right now player access is not a big thing but using my RW on my PC and my laptop is important. We'll see how good this all goes...

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 30th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Right now presentation isn't a big deal since the only, usually, person who sees the realm is the person who input the data in the first place. Or at least that is likely the way the priority has been.

Web version is a much simpler way to provide access than some app our players need to buy and run on their PC's. It should just be an URL we can point them to just like any other website. That should hopefully increase the number of players looking at realms away from the gaming table and increase. When that happens is when I would think you could start getting traction on user access to layout features.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 1st, 2017, 05:03 PM
Text snippets with column option

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 1st, 2017, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Right now presentation isn't a big deal since the only, usually, person who sees the realm is the person who input the data in the first place.
It becomes a big deal if the new layout allows everything to be seen on a single screen without scrolling.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:01 AM
None of this discussion will matter if you don’t put in a feature request
Bidmaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:27 AM
Does it matter there either?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote