Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sledge

Old April 29th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I know this gets brought up every once in a while but I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to implement epic spell slots?
By that I mean both the 10th level slots (not spells just slots for metamagic) and the flexible slots that add up to the highest level you can cast everytime you add them.
Sledge is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 29th, 2015, 01:54 PM
This cannot be done without altering the number of columns hard coded into the matrix for spells / level. It is not something that can be done with scripts.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 29th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
I know this gets brought up every once in a while but I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to implement epic spell slots?
By that I mean both the 10th level slots (not spells just slots for metamagic) and the flexible slots that add up to the highest level you can cast everytime you add them.
Pathfinder does not directly support Epic or 10th level slots which is hard-coded into an array.

If I was to do this I would need to think outside the box and use many of the flexible pieces of HL to achieve this. A Configurable is capable now of supporting a list of spells. So you could write a custom script on the Configurable to change the Custom Expression for its spell selection. I would change it to the following in example:
Code:
component.BaseSpell & Custom.EpicSpell
Then I would make my "Epic" spells and set the new custom tag of "Custom.EpicSpell" on these Epic Spells and set the spell to no class or level.

So then you would have a Configurable tab (Maybe set to a Mechanic) that would allow selecting these special "Epic" spells. You may run into other issues with metamagic and stuff which you would have to work through. You may need other logic and scripts to set uses per day and stuff. But at least you would have a special tab that could add the spells to your character.

That would be how I go about it. And if everything above I just said sounds like Greek to you then I would say this would be a awful first project to learn the HL editor. When you are trying to make HL do things outside its normal behavior you first need a very good understanding of its basic building blocks.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 29th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Pathfinder does not directly support Epic or 10th level slots which is hard-coded into an array.

If I was to do this I would need to think outside the box and use many of the flexible pieces of HL to achieve this. A Configurable is capable now of supporting a list of spells. So you could write a custom script on the Configurable to change the Custom Expression for its spell selection. I would change it to the following in example:
Code:
component.BaseSpell & Custom.EpicSpell
Then I would make my "Epic" spells and set the new custom tag of "Custom.EpicSpell" on these Epic Spells and set the spell to no class or level.

So then you would have a Configurable tab (Maybe set to a Mechanic) that would allow selecting these special "Epic" spells. You may run into other issues with metamagic and stuff which you would have to work through. You may need other logic and scripts to set uses per day and stuff. But at least you would have a special tab that could add the spells to your character.

That would be how I go about it. And if everything above I just said sounds like Greek to you then I would say this would be a awful first project to learn the HL editor. When you are trying to make HL do things outside its normal behavior you first need a very good understanding of its basic building blocks.
Tim,

Pathfinder Core Rulebook, pp. 406-407 tells you how to progress past 20th level, a.k.a. epic level play. Lone Wolf has chosen to not implement these guidelines fully. On 407, under Spells the official rules clearly state that you continue to gain spell slots above 9th level spells at odd levels. This is in the official rules and has been there since the first printing. Pathfinder supports Epic Level play, Hero Lab does not.

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 29th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Not important to the question the OP has....

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; April 29th, 2015 at 02:58 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 29th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I already answered the OP's question, Tim. It can't be done without sourcecode access. Scripts won't allow you to change the static values the matrix uses for rows and columns, therefore the community cannot do it without rebuilding the files from scratch via the authoring kit.

RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sledge

Old April 30th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Kinda disappointing that this is still an ignored thing over here. I'm not up to kludging a script for this. Even entering a prestige class can be tricky for me. I'm rather financially committed to Hero Lab so its frustrating not having it do what I want.
RavenX: that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Sledge is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Portilis

Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:53 AM
Except... whilst there are some guidelines there for going beyond 20th, the CRB goes out of its way to say that they are just guidelines, not a proper ruleset.

They then went on to make their version of epic be the mythic rules, which make a lot more sense with the way Paizo have taken the rules - with many classes having capstones at 20th, going beyond that point either seems a bit lacklustre if pure class, or means you can have that capstone as a multiclass, which kinda defeats the point a bit.

Code wise, hmm, my immediate thoughts are pretty much the same as Shadow's - mechanic controlling a configurable. Would be pretty complex and painful though... I'd probably enjoy having a go, but lack the free time at the moment I'm afraid.
Portilis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portilis View Post
Except... whilst there are some guidelines there for going beyond 20th, the CRB goes out of its way to say that they are just guidelines, not a proper ruleset.
Yep and the CRB even states the following "Paizo Publishing may eventually publish rules to take your game into these epic realms, but if you can’t wait and would rather not use existing open content rules for epic-level play, you can use the following brief guidelines to continue beyond 20th level.". And Mythic was the answer and was a much better system.

Even better is LG just finished release of Kickstarter books, just yesterday, for Mythic that is packed full of new stuff including monsters! The new Mythic Handbook. Little expensive for the pdf but really expands the Mythic rules nicely. Be good fun to expand the community support into these books now that we don't have to do APs anymore.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old May 4th, 2015, 08:24 AM
On that point, Tim, the Kickstarter stretch goals hit the targets to get the Mythic Hero Handbook and Mythic Monster Manual into HL (I'm struggling to spot the Mythic Spell Compendium HL support, though, so not sure if it's just not happening or if it's just hard to find). So at some point (soon™) most of those will be getting official support anyway.

And frankly, I can't wait.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #10 Reply With Quote