Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Southern Man

Old October 30th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Any idea if Herolab will be able to add DnD 5e to the line up?

"October 30, 2014

Greetings friends,

Today, we have news that is both sobering and hopeful. Wizards of the Coast and Trapdoor Technologies will no longer be working together to develop DungeonScape for Fifth Edition D&D, and we will not be releasing the product in its current form. The beta program on all platforms will be shutting down at noon (MST) on Friday, October 31.

Although we can’t reveal all of the details regarding the future of DungeonScape, we are happy to say that there is indeed a future—so fear not!

This project, 100% internally funded, conceptualized, and built by our talented team at Trapdoor, has been a labor of love from the very beginning. We set out to change the way RPGs are played at the table—making our game night more about enjoying the adventure than searching for rules. We still hold true to that quest. We believe that our Story Machine™ is a powerful tool for converting information into something more useful and rich.

We’re working hard to solidify the details of what’s next for DungeonScape, and we’ll share that information with you when it’s appropriate.

Until then, please continue to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. We’ll do our very best to answer any questions you have through social media or email.

Long live the adventure.

Love,

The Trapdoor Technologies Team"
Southern Man is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old October 30th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
The missing licence is still the issue, DungeonScape or no DungeonScape. But I also hope that the reason might be a plan for non-exclusive licencing.
I really hope they have positive news soon.

Asides from any decisions from WotC I am continueing working on the DnD 5e support for Hero Lab, but I can only release it if they make a licence which allows to do so (currently finishing the last missing feats - Magic Initiate was especially a pain to implement (being able to choose spells from other classes), but it works now ;-)

MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DocSun

Old October 30th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Oh man Magic that's awesome I really hope license details are put forth or someone out there is reaching out even today. I love hero lab 4e... and pathfinder... and pretty much every system i bought. This is my go to character gen and encounter builder!
DocSun is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old October 30th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I am running out of fingers to cross, lets see what happens now.
talsharien is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post

"[DungeonScape Press Release]"
I had a feeling I'd wake up to a post like this. Unfortunately, the situation has remained the same for us here at Lone Wolf. We would still need a license with Wizards to do anything with Hero Lab. We're still waiting to see if an OGL type license appears, but until additional news appears on that front, there's nothing we can do.
liz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
I had a feeling I'd wake up to a post like this. Unfortunately, the situation has remained the same for us here at Lone Wolf. We would still need a license with Wizards to do anything with Hero Lab. We're still waiting to see if an OGL type license appears, but until additional news appears on that front, there's nothing we can do.
Of course you found a post like this, we love our Hero Lab.

I am curious though, do you have to wait for them or can you reach out to them to seek approval? I ask because I know some companies don't allow or want requests and some are more open to the 3rd party enquiry.
dafrca is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Any one can approach WOTC and ask for a license to do X. X being plush, software, board games, whatever. If there is a license already in play they will let you know otherwise you will be given a price to get the license for a certain number of years. If they are interested in working with you the price might be reasonable. Often WOTC gives you a price so high that you would never be able to recover your costs. That's their way of saying get lost.

If you wait and they offer an OGL then it is free and you can move foward at no charge
Tekwych is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM
@Tekwych, there's a LOT more to it than it sounds from your description. We have been in discussions with Wizards regarding different licenses for almost a decade, not to mention all the other companies we have licenses in place with. Negotiating something is often a lengthy and arduous process, with lots of niggly details that have to worked through - it is in no way as cut-and-dried simple as it sounds from your description.

Your description is technically correct, but it omits critical information that could be misleading to others that lack familiarity with how licensing negotiations actually unfold.

Edit: I felt that it was important for users lacking experience in licensing to understand there's typically a lot more to the process. Sometimes, it's as simple as you've outlined, but often it's a lot more involved.

Last edited by rob; October 30th, 2014 at 02:25 PM.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 30th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
@Tekwych, there's a LOT more to it than it sounds from your description. We have been in discussions with Wizards regarding different licenses for almost a decade, not to mention all the other companies we have licenses in place with. Negotiating something is often a lengthy and arduous process, with lots of niggly details that have to worked through - it is in no way as cut-and-dried simple as it sounds from your description.

Your description is technically correct, but it omits critical information that could be misleading to others that lack familiarity with how licensing negotiations actually unfold.

Edit: I felt that it was important for users lacking experience in licensing to understand there's typically a lot more to the process. Sometimes, it's as simple as you've outlined, but often it's a lot more involved.
I think what Rob is saying is that there are two dwarven lawyers, one on each side representing one company and together they have to forge and hammer out the license. These negotiations can involve a lot of back and forth hammering until a license emerges from the foundry that all parties involved can agree to. In other words, it's not as simple as just walking up to WotC HQ, knocking on Mike Mearls' door and asking him for a license.

I'd keep pestering WotC on their forums and twitter though. If you really want hero lab for 5e you need to generate that buzz...

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
EberronKnight

Old October 30th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
I'd keep pestering WotC on their forums and twitter though. If you really want hero lab for 5e you need to generate that buzz...
I have been doing that, along with a couple of others with the mention on Lone Wolf and how they understand RPGs with digital tools.

Crossing my fingers!

EK
EberronKnight is offline   #10 Reply With Quote