Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TaylorBland

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Alright, i recently got the Authoring Kit and i have been playing with it but i can't figure out how to create a new Race. I wanted to create the Half-Elf race with the -1 Constitution and +1 Intelligence of the Elf and with the 1 Free Ability of the Human for the Authoring kit sample but i have no earthly clue how to do this. i have looked over the PDF file of the Wiki several times but i am clueless. i am not very tech savvy but if anyone can give me the right way to make this, then i can figure it out from there. this help would be very much appreciated and welcome.

It is just really frustrating me and i just want to build my one system.

Making new Skills and Abilities are easy, but the more intricate parts i am having issues with.
Again, help is appreciated and very much welcome.
Thank you and god bless
TaylorBland is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Are you trying to modify an existing game like Pathfinder? If so, you want to use the built in editor for that system.

If you want to work with Savage Worlds or 4E that comes with the AK, then that's what you'll use.

What game.are you working with?

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old May 13th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I am working solely with the sample system. the one with the question mark symbol. i just want to learn how to make the basic stuff. i have already created more Skills and Abilities but doing the more intricate parts are just hard for me.

I just don't get the Script thing. it's like Algebra for me, i suck at it. i get it but trying to do it is something different.

I am trying to use that basic Authoring sample to create a generic Fantasy game so that i can build my own system. i am not very tech savvy; i mean, it took me thirty minutes to figure out how to add one stupid Ability.

Thank you for the links though, they might be helpful.
TaylorBland is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Here's the authoring kit wiki: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/Main_Page

I recommend studying the Authoring Examples section - there, you can see how the Skeleton files were converted into the Savage Worlds files, and then you can draw parallels between your own game system and Savage Worlds and then plot your own approach to converting the skeleton files into a full game system.

I don't recommend starting with the sample files, ESPECIALLY if you haven't made a copy of the folder first - the Skeleton files are a nice clean, empty starting point. The default folder of the sample files will be overwritten with every update of Hero Lab.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old May 25th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Actually, i was wanting to modify the strait up Sample Files. There are really good things in there i couldn't replicate myself and since it is a very easy system, i wanted to use it. but i have looked over the Wiki and i still don't get it. so if someone could give me a step by step way to create the Half-Elf based on the following info in simple terminology, it would be appreciated.

+1 Intelligence
-1 Constitution
+1 Ability Free
Alert Ability Free

I got how to add the Alert Ability but the other three i just get.
TaylorBland is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TaylorBland

Old May 25th, 2014, 11:21 PM
alright, i have figured out a way to make things work. i figured that i could look up the main files; not edit them but view them; and from there i gathered how to make certain things work. i do appreciate all your help in this matter but i no longer need it. thank you all again and have a great summer
TaylorBland is offline   #6 Reply With Quote