Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 11th, 2017, 04:49 AM
Go to the Options/Tools menu at the top right (hammer & crescent wrench icon)
Click the Move To menu option
Click the Mechanics Articles sub-option
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 11th, 2017, 05:30 AM
There are some fairly common subtleties though that represent valid circumstances when you might want to do this. One example:

I wanted to add native tongue and languages known to creatures. So far, so good, but then it occurred to me that "Common" is not a world thing, it is a rules thing. Not having seen your move technique, and since it was only one item, it was easy to move (I deleted and re-added, which caused linkage problems). But the point is that it is really not that unusual that a category of topics has elements that are rules and elements that are world/realm-specific. Experienced RW users will already know these, but new users will stumble into these as they begin to gel the way they want to represent their world.

While the number of entries concerned will (hopefully) be low, I think it may be a source of frustration to new users and somewhat off-putting that something that seems simple is so very hard, and few users will appreciate the rationale behind intentionally making it hard.

Not a bitch, just a consideration....
Bidmaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 11th, 2017, 06:30 AM
TBH, the arbitrary topic/article barrier is annoying and has been a problem in refactoring my realms in the past. I'm sure it is a source of frustration for newer users on a regular basis.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old February 11th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Sorry Rob, that may work for Topic to Article, but not for Article to Topic . I select Move To Story/World Topic Categories and I get attached error.

Thanks for the help anyway.

-Ray
Attached Images
File Type: png Error.png (250.6 KB, 8 views)
ri_gamer is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 11th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Make sure any Topics/Articles using the Category you're attempting to move are not Contained and have no Contained objects. Containment is visible in the hierarchy of the Navigation Pane on the left (if enabled) or in the "Containing Objects" section of the Relationships Pane on the right.

I was able to move a Category both ways in my quick test, FWIW.

Last edited by Parody; February 11th, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
Parody is online now   #15 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old February 11th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Bingo! Thanks.
ri_gamer is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 11th, 2017, 01:57 PM
As @ri_gamer encountered, there are definitely some technical tendrils that complicate things. So it's not a matter of just trivially removing this distinction.

If any topic/article belonging to the category is contained or has children, those need to be broken to migrate the category and all its derived topics/articles across. Then comes the question of how to best accomplish that. We could force the user to deal with it, but if we're "making it easy" then users will expect us to automate it. At that point, I'm not sure how best to tear apart what the user has put into place and can't be retained in a way that the user will consider friendly. That's something we'd have to solve, so changing this behavior would have some unpleasant complexities and isn't something we can do expediently.
rob is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 11th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I think it is a very low priority fix, maybe a never fix. I would just hesitate to say that you made it intentionally hard, as it sounds like it was a design decision that had consequences you didn't intentionally insert just to make it hard.

I really don't think a user will make this mistake that often once they get through the experimenting stage of realm creation.
Bidmaron is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ri_gamer

Old February 11th, 2017, 03:09 PM
My change was the result of too much rethinking after the 5E structures were released. Hopefully not a common occurrence, also I think it will be a lesser issue when users can see how content from the market has been structured.
ri_gamer is offline   #19 Reply With Quote