Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old September 9th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
They WILL be able to take notes. They won't be able to edit any of the content YOU'VE written and shared with them. Their notes are separate from the story content, just like yours. Sorry for not making that clear.
Thanks Rob I was wondering abou this, but little deeper, will the player notes fromn say Player 3 be viewable or Synce'd? So the GM and all players see the notes?
Exmortis is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kthomasms

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:11 AM
One of the things I have been curious about. From a GM's UI/UX perspective are we able to name the specific player they reveal the piece of content to? Or is it an all or nothing kind of thing for player reveal?
kthomasms is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthomasms View Post
One of the things I have been curious about. From a GM's UI/UX perspective are we able to name the specific player they reveal the piece of content to? Or is it an all or nothing kind of thing for player reveal?
Currently all or nothing. The plan is to make it player-specific in future releases (one step at a time )

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 9th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Thanks Rob I was wondering abou this, but little deeper, will the player notes fromn say Player 3 be viewable or Synce'd? So the GM and all players see the notes?
All notes are synced. However, players notes are only visible to THAT player. They are private, just like yours. And they will NOT count against any storage limits for the GM, so that should not be a point of concern.

This may be changed in the future, but that's how it will work initially. If you feel strongly one way or the other, I think there's an old thread about this particular subject in the Requests forum.
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old September 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Quote:
They WILL be able to take notes. They won't be able to edit any of the content YOU'VE written and shared with them. Their notes are separate from the story content, just like yours. Sorry for not making that clear.
Will the GMs and other players be able to see the notes a player makes? I can see how that would be beneficial for GMs. A player thinks the cook killed the victim in the parlor with a candlestick. It's not what the GM planned, but it sounds better than the initial idea so the GM runs with it. (I love get ideas when players speculate out loud.)
ruhar is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 9th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Will the GMs and other players be able to see the notes a player makes? I can see how that would be beneficial for GMs. A player thinks the cook killed the victim in the parlor with a candlestick. It's not what the GM planned, but it sounds better than the initial idea so the GM runs with it. (I love get ideas when players speculate out loud.)
Player notes will initially be private (see my post a couple posts upstream). I agree that stealing player ideas is a wonderful trick (and one I've used as well), and we've discussed a different way of potentially handling that stuff. It's something we'll need to finalize and get implemented in the months ahead.
rob is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 9th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Player notes will initially be private (see my post a couple posts upstream). I agree that stealing player ideas is a wonderful trick (and one I've used as well), and we've discussed a different way of potentially handling that stuff. It's something we'll need to finalize and get implemented in the months ahead.
"Steal".... tisk tisk... that's such a harsh word.... how about.....acquire, annex, appropriate, usurp... heheh

Seriously... your comment above eludes that only the player entering the comment can see their entry? Not even the DM?
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 9th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
"Steal".... tisk tisk... that's such a harsh word.... how about.....acquire, annex, appropriate, usurp... heheh

Seriously... your comment above eludes that only the player entering the comment can see their entry? Not even the DM?
I'm quite willing to call the spade a fracking shovel. If the players have a better plot idea than I came up with, I'm happy to steal it.

Yes, all comments will be private initially. As I indicated above, that may very well change or become configurable in the future, but that's how it will start out. There are pros and cons in each direction, so there's no one right answer that will work perfectly in all situations. Some of those pros and cons have been discussed here on the forums in various threads. We're starting with one simple solution initially and then we'll evolve it from there.
rob is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old September 9th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Yes, all comments will be private initially. As I indicated above, that may very well change or become configurable in the future, but that's how it will start out.
I'm happy that it's on the table. I was glad to hear that players could make notes which led me to a HEY moment. Now I think the next step is that we need to start a new thread and hear what GMs think. Right Rob?
ruhar is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 9th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I'm happy that it's on the table. I was glad to hear that players could make notes which led me to a HEY moment. Now I think the next step is that we need to start a new thread and hear what GMs think. Right Rob?
GMs *AND* players. There are reasons for BOTH sides to want shared AND private notes.

The ideal solution is to let everyone choose what is and isn't shared. But that gets a whole lot trickier for us to manage all the syncing, since it's essentially having multiple authors of information that can all be separately controlled. And that's something that will entail a lot of work still to fully support, so we might as well do that for notes at the same time we support it for all content.

Oh, and I believe there's already a thread about this in the Feature Requests forum. You're welcome to start another one here in the discussion forum, with the caveat that anything in the discussion forum is not going to be given the same weight as the actual request threads when it comes time to prioritize things.
rob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote