Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 7th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Edited: Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I have a few questions about what you've all been asking for, which you can find in this followup thread:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48333

Looking forward to hearing from you there! You can also continue posting any other feature requests or suggestions you have in the new thread.

------

Hello Fate Core beta testers,

This thread is for feedback on the Fate Core beta. Please let us know your thoughts and feedback on Fate Core support for Hero Lab here.

If you'd like to join the beta, you can sign up here, and we'll contact you when we're ready to bring in new users: http://www.wolflair.com/blog/2013/12/04/fate-core-beta/

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Colen; February 18th, 2014 at 02:02 PM.
Colen is offline   #1
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM
My first character sheet was surprisingly smooth sailing. The advantage of the setup that's in there is that drag-and-drop skills seems the easiest way to build the pyramid I've seen.

I was able to make the character straight from the core app, but my initial thought is that one of the things Fate games typically do is alter the list of available skills, generally by replacing something that doesn't fit the campaign in question with something that does. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be really nice to go into the Skills section and rename things without a.) messing with the working core or b.) having to mess around in the Developer Kit every time you want to do a different sort of campaign.

I did see the right-click option to rename a skill, but it's grayed out. What I'm hoping is that you can do it only within a particular character or portfolio ( have yet to figure out multiple-character portfolios, though that's on my list) and the core list is left intact for next time (where you may need to alter it in a completely different fashion).

Last edited by MPHopcroft; February 7th, 2014 at 04:57 PM.
MPHopcroft is offline   #2
sak0232

Old February 7th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I love it!

Just messing around with it:

** One thing I noticed is that there is no choice for EXTREME Consequences, at least for what I can tell.

** I was entering in the characters from my current campaign, who have already advanced many times. I don't like that I need to build the original character, lock it, then add stuff. I'd want the option to just add the traits to the sheet.

** The names of things on the standard output character sheet seem a little big. The main aspects needed to use two lines (and it'd be nice if the adjusted there size to fit to one line). Also, one name of a stunt was just long enough that it didn't fit on the sheet.

Again, I'm so excited for this! Thanks!
I'm gonna try to the Editor tomorrow.
sak0232 is offline   #3
GreyMouser

Old February 7th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Agreed. I LOVE the drag-and-drop for building a skill pyramid. Very nice and easy to use. However, I use a lot of different skills in my games, including replacing skills with Approaches (as in FAE, but deemed a legal substitution in Core in the Toolkit) I'm hoping that functionality will be in the final version, because the malleability of the skillset is an important part of Fate Core. Being able to save custom skillsets without altering the default set would be very helpful.
GreyMouser is offline   #4
GreyMouser

Old February 7th, 2014, 06:28 PM
sak: remember that Extreme Consequences directly overwrite an Aspect. Therefore, there wouldn't be a Consequence slot on the character sheet for it. You simply replace an Aspect with the Extreme Consequence.
GreyMouser is offline   #5
Sketchpad

Old February 7th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Just started using the Beta and so far it's pretty sweet. I had a few questions:
• Are Extras going to be implemented in the final release?
• Will Fate Accelerated also be part of the initial release?
• On the character sheet, is it possible to have it print the Consequence types like the Fate Core character sheet?
Thanks!

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer
DeviantArt|Facebook|Twitter
Sketchpad is offline   #6
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sak0232 View Post
** I was entering in the characters from my current campaign, who have already advanced many times. I don't like that I need to build the original character, lock it, then add stuff. I'd want the option to just add the traits to the sheet.
Speaking of which, building and printing out the sort of quicky NPCs required all the time -- how easy will that be to do?
MPHopcroft is offline   #7
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchpad View Post
Just started using the Beta and so far it's pretty sweet. I had a few questions:
• Are Extras going to be implemented in the final release?
• Will Fate Accelerated also be part of the initial release?
• On the character sheet, is it possible to have it print the Consequence types like the Fate Core character sheet?
Thanks!
In order:

* Extras are something we're looking at, but we'll likely want to prioritize them based on demand from users. Some are also a lot more work than others - I'm looking at you, magic systems.

* We don't have any plans for Fate Accelerated support at the moment; I kinda feel like, if you're going that simple, do you even want to have to worry about using a computer? Support for that would have to be stacked up against adding extras from Fate Core and our other projects.

* Not sure what you mean by that; can you give more information?
Colen is offline   #8
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHopcroft View Post
Speaking of which, building and printing out the sort of quicky NPCs required all the time -- how easy will that be to do?
What sort of capabilities are you looking for when building NPCs?
Colen is offline   #9
MPHopcroft

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
What sort of capabilities are you looking for when building NPCs?
Let's see if I can explain it (which will also let me see if I understand it): NPCs are usually not given the same design treatment as PCs. Just giving them the relevant aspects, a few skills, and whatever stunts they need to do what you want them to, and you're pretty much done.

The only reason I would want these in the generator is so that they can be printed out or displayed in a group sheet with all the other NPC Encounters. It goes back to doing multi-character portfolios, which is a skill I have yet to master, keeping all the adversaries of the PCs in a single portfolio file, adding new ones and altering existing ones as needed.

Another thought that may be a bit much to ask on a free license: in the prototypical Fate game, players aren't just building their own characters in the world the GM makes. They're actually helping him create that world. Player input determines a lot in terms of what happens and what exists in the campaign. It would be nice if the group could get together and, with Hero Lab running on the GMs laptop, put in one portfolio all the things that have come up in character creation that affect the world the PCs inhabit. If one of the PCs is looking for his long lost brother, open a sheet for that brother. If they're all going to be on a ship, put details about the ship in the portfolio. And so on. Use the PC as a collaboration tool in campaign design. It's one of the things that makes Fate Core unique.
MPHopcroft is offline   #10
Closed Thread