Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

nowinskp

Old October 14th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I'm writing as a RealmWorks user from Europe but considering this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country
I believe I'm not the only one here with this problem.

Guys, could you please give us an option to change date format to anything other than MM/DD/YYYY? The current non-changeable format is SO completely unintuitive for people from Europe and other regions around the world that uses syntax like DD/MM/YYYY or YYYY/MM/DD... It almost makes the calendar unusable as it's so hard to visualize the event's chronological order by just looking at their dates.

It's a shame it cannot be simply changed - especially when it's just a matter of formatting.

I know you have like a ton of work with the Content Market now and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here but as a programmer myself, depending how you actually wrote the application, I believe this feature should be a really easy thing to do (comparing to many others) as we are just talking about displaying numbers in a different way.

One small option, hundreds of people happier.

I can even find you a nice cat picture if that makes this feature get released sooner.
nowinskp is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old October 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Please read this thread.

RW's calendar is a custom, user-defined calendar, and any changes to it require the user-defined calendar feature to be fully implemented. It's not an off-the-shelf date-tracking tool.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
nowinskp

Old October 14th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Please read this thread.

RW's calendar is a custom, user-defined calendar, and any changes to it require the user-defined calendar feature to be fully implemented. It's not an off-the-shelf date-tracking tool.
It's not a change to how calendar works, it's a change to how calendar numbers (or dates) are displayed to the user. It's about formatting, not about affecting the logic behind how those numbers/dates are calculated.
nowinskp is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 14th, 2015, 02:54 PM
When the calendar feature is released, you'll not only be able to support different formats of the Gregorian calendars but you'll be able to make your own calendars. Hmmm...now I'm thinking that us calendar advocates dropped the ball. We should have petitioned non-US users to vote for prioritizing custom calendars. For now, we'll all wait patiently for journals and other features to be developed first.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowinskp View Post
It's not a change to how calendar works, it's a change to how calendar numbers (or dates) are displayed to the user. It's about formatting, not about affecting the logic behind how those numbers/dates are calculated.
It's all baked into the calendar mechanism itself. Exposing that one piece (the formatting) creates a huge cascade. We looked into it, and it is NOT easy.

If we were using the operating system mechanisms, THEN it would be easy. But we're not. And if we were using the O/S mechanisms, then none of the calendar stuff we've built would be able to added to existing content.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old October 14th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Except that RW (currently) only knows how to display a calendar based on the logic behind how those numbers/dates are calculated.

As far as RW is concerned DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY are two completely separate calendars. They may have identical cycles, and be absolutely in synchronisation with each other so that 14/10/2015 is the same as 10/14/2015, but RW sees them as completely separate calendars with a single reference time (probably 01/01/0001 00:00:00) in common.

Now, yes, it's absolutely possible to code RW to accept that it should display dates as DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY, but to do that the team would have to rebuild the calendar and tell it to display that way, and it would then affect every single RW user, including the developers (though they have other tools at their disposal) who chose to include the single default Gregorian calendar in US date format until custom calendars (which will let us do whatever we want with display formats because we will be able to tell the calendar that it should be displaying however we want it) are user-friendly enough to go live.

Basically, the feature you are asking for is custom calendars. Once custom calendars are live, you will be able to tell RW to display dates in whatever date format (calendar) you want, and not display others.

Chemlak is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old October 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
When the calendar feature is released, you'll not only be able to support different formats of the Gregorian calendars but you'll be able to make your own calendars. Hmmm...now I'm thinking that us calendar advocates dropped the ball. We should have petitioned non-US users to vote for prioritizing custom calendars. For now, we'll all wait patiently for journals and other features to be developed first.
You're right... dagnabbit. I know I go crazy trying to figure out if 03/08/2010 is March 8th or 3rd August of 2010. We did miss a trick.

Chemlak is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
nowinskp

Old October 15th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
It's all baked into the calendar mechanism itself. Exposing that one piece (the formatting) creates a huge cascade. We looked into it, and it is NOT easy.

If we were using the operating system mechanisms, THEN it would be easy. But we're not. And if we were using the O/S mechanisms, then none of the calendar stuff we've built would be able to added to existing content.
Thank you Rob, that actually explains a lot.
nowinskp is offline   #8 Reply With Quote