Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

sjwilliamsii

Old December 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
WTH? I upgraded from version 3.2 to 3.3 and claims that my license needs to be transferred even though it is the same system. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I truly understand the need to piracy protections but you can not inconvenience your paying customers in this way. I use AB nearly ever day. o I really have to go back to using Excel?
Come on guys. You are better than this.

Simon
"tanks cost money, the dead cost nothing"
sjwilliamsii is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm confused... it didn't just transfer it with a click of a button? All it needs to do is resend your information to the Lone Wolf servers and then return again, should take a matter of seconds.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
sjwilliamsii

Old December 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I did the software updates as I have in the past. This time it asked for sp3 for xp. I downloaded and installed xp sp3 update. The fired up AB again, downloaded the 3.3 update file and ran it. After installing I executed AB again, and it popped up and said that MY licenses needed to be transferred. I clicked on button to automatically transfer, and it popped up a message saying that it could not be transferred because it had already been transferred within 180 days.

As I recall, I had updated it back in November. The license manager indicates that my license was transferred in November.

What I don't understand is why it would need to be transferred for a software update. That is almost like having to renew your drivers license when you get your oil changed.
sjwilliamsii is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Did you use the same license number to install AB on a different computer? If so, you'll need to switch one of those computers to use a different license number - you can get a free secondary license from the License menu by choosing "Obtain Secondary License".

If not, please follow the instructions for early license reassignment - we try to get to license reassignment requests within one business day of them being posted, so you should be up and running quickly.
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
sjwilliamsii

Old December 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I have purchased 2 licenses, one for my laptop (the one in question) and one for my desktop (has not been upgraded yet). The is the only system that the license in question is used on.

I had sent the transfer request as soon as it locked me in demo mode. My complaint is that the installed license requires a transfer after the update is applied.
sjwilliamsii is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 28th, 2010, 01:15 PM
As a general rule, this should NOT have happened. Updating to a new version of AB should NOT require a license transfer.

In this situation, it's quite likely that the update to XP SP3 triggered a change in something small which impacted the "identity" of your computer that is generated by AB. Without researching it further, I'm not aware of what that might be, but it's highly probable.

Some of the new functionality added to AB 3.3 requires that XP SP3 be installed instead of only SP2, hence the new requirement.

As Colen mentioned, early license reassignment is given top priority in the support queue, so Nancy ought to get that handled for you shortly (she handles tech support requests). In the meantime, we'll need to go back and investigate what could potentially be changing with the update from XP SP2 to SP3.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
wiper

Old December 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Just to give a heads-up that sjwilliamsii isn't alone in this - I just updated Army Builder on my laptop (which is running Windows 7, and hasn't had any major updates in a long while - certainly not any that made Army Builder 3.2 take note!), and immediately had to transfer my license - problematic as, like sj, I'd previously done so a short while previously.

Anyway, I've submitted a request for a license reassignment, so hopefully I'll be able to update my lists (now with pictures!) soon enough
wiper is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 29th, 2010, 12:36 PM
In my experience, this generally happens when you install Army Builder using the same license number on two computers. We give you a free secondary license to install AB on another computer, but you need to get a DIFFERENT license number to do so - you can do this by going to the License menu and choosing "Obtain Secondary License".

If you use the same license number on both computers, Army Builder will think you've transferred it from one computer to the other, and so we'll register it as a license transfer. Then when you go back to updating Army Builder on the primary computer, AB thinks that you transferred the license away from it, so you run into problems.

The solution is to use two different license numbers on two different computers. If you're currently using the same license number on two computers, and one of them is giving you a "license must be reassigned" error, simply obtain a new secondary license number and use that instead. After that, everything should work fine.
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
jagaang

Old December 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I am fighting this issue as well. I have a regular license and a secondary one for my laptop. Everything was working fine, then I upgraded, and it screwed the licensing up and now it will only run in demo mode. I cant get another secondary through the product (you have to email support) and it gives me the 120 day message when I try to activate, even though it's the same system and has NOT changed at all other than MS updates. I sent an email to support, so we'll see what the fix is but for now it's hosed and stuck the 3 unit demo mode.

Windows 7 64 all patches current
6GB ram
jagaang is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM
If you need to reassign your license, make sure to click the "Click here for early license reassignment" message, rather than emailing support - license reassignments get handled faster, so you should get a prompter reply from filling out our automated form.
Colen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote