Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dsteffen

Old August 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
>I'm just wondering what people want and update for?

How about give the Authors the ablity to do custom Print Layouts... Not everything works well with the "Spread Sheet" Some games use Cards.

AB Makes its easy to build Armies but fumbling they the "Spread sheet" Style pages sometimes get in the way of the games..
dsteffen is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Ghaz

Old August 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteffen
>I'm just wondering what people want and update for?

How about give the Authors the ablity to do custom Print Layouts... Not everything works well with the "Spread Sheet" Some games use Cards.

AB Makes its easy to build Armies but fumbling they the "Spread sheet" Style pages sometimes get in the way of the games..
I believe you already have the ability to do so by using custom extensions (Army Builder Authoring Kit, page 275). It was also an option in AB2 as seen in the CAV datafiles. The problem is that no one ever used it.
Ghaz is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Pilgrimdb

Old August 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I think some people here are missing the point. I have paid for a service that includes regular updates. Many people have not bothered to renew their licenses as they see no benefit. However, I have shown some faith in a company that makes a quality product. However, this faith has not been returned. I have paid for two years worth of updates and received none. I have sent multiple emails and either received assurances that did not come to fruition or have received no reply at all. All I am asking is what I agreed to pay for and what the company has agreed to provide me. If the company, in this case LWD, cannot provide the product that they have sold, that is AB with regular updates, then they should have another look at their licensing agreement and refund the customer's money or extend their licenses until such time as this service is able to be provided.
Pilgrimdb is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Golf33

Old October 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
All the business input issues aside, Lone Wolf is going to be losing some sales (and more importantly goodwill and reputation) by offering a 'pay for regular updates' license and then not following through.

Unlike some here, I bought a 1-year license and when it was evident towards the end of that year that no updates were likely to eventuate, I let the license lapse. Looking at some of the posts here, even if an update comes out tomorrow I'm still only $2.50 worse off than anyone who kept their license going over the last 3 years.

There are still some important useability improvements that would be worthwhile for data file authors at least. For example, off the top of my head, the ability to view the current available tags from the script editor and the ability to drag-and-drop tags and commands from their listings directly into scripts and expressions, and the ability to duplicate units, items and options without having to edit the XML directly would all be welcome.
Golf33 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
harkan
Volunteer Data File Author

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:15 PM
One of the things included in the license is the ability to have notification and updates for the datafiles through AB. I do realise these are done by the authors on a voluntary basis and are as such on an ad hoc basis - but they are often updated. Downloading through AB as a central system makes life significantly easier.

As an author, anything that can make life easier for us is well worth the wait. Having done a fair amount of work on the beta tests of AB along with the rest of the AB team I know how much work Rob and Colen put in on the products to fine tune everything and make a release well worth the wait. As a developer I also know how much pain can come from softare updates when you hit an unexpected block ... then throw in legal problems as well (hmmm, wonder where that may have come from ...) then both Rob and Colen have a big uphill battle.

To those who are saying that LW have not met their end of an agreement then I would say that, knowing LW, the wait will be more than worthwhile and even now, as it stands, AB is a good solid "healthy child" which can wait patiently for a bit of the parent's attention
harkan is offline   #15 Reply With Quote