Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Globetrotter

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:00 PM
yeah.... this does not make any sense at all. Do I have to create the dwarf with a preset number of mythic ranks?

Then add the class levels back on him? I am not sure how many mythic levels to give him. This simple add is going to take hours.

I will just keep using the mythic path. This is way too difficult.

Please add a way to add mythic ranks... please!!!
Globetrotter is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Before people get all worked up about this, as I understand it, the implementation in HeroLab is how Paizo designed Mythic to be used. *They* don't apply a template to make a mythic monster (other than the ones that apply the specific mythic templates).. they design/create the monster "from the ground up" as a mythic creature. So, in that sense, what is currently in HeroLab is "correct".

If my understanding is correct, it might be more effective to request a house rule option to allow adding Mythic Ranks to creatures.
Silveras is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Shadow... I am a little hesitant to add user files. I keep all of my portfolios in the cloud since I used 4 different computers to access the files, depending where I am.

Then I have a few different ipads that we place the character sheets on and pass out to players. It becomes a huge hassle.

Thank you for the recommendation
Globetrotter is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Before people get all worked up about this, as I understand it, the implementation in HeroLab is how Paizo designed Mythic to be used. *They* don't apply a template to make a mythic monster (other than the ones that apply the specific mythic templates).. they design/create the monster "from the ground up" as a mythic creature. So, in that sense, what is currently in HeroLab is "correct".

If my understanding is correct, it might be more effective to request a house rule option to allow adding Mythic Ranks to creatures.
I am sure Hero Lab is doing everything according to the rules. When it comes to creating a monster, adding the mythic ranks is pretty much impossible. Maybe they could create a dumbed down version so we can have the feats and the hit point progression.

Then for the situational abilities a simple note section could be added, most everything else can be added via adjustments or spells.

The templates is just not the same thing.
Globetrotter is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Quote:

The problem I have with this implementation is that it is the worst way to do it. If you read the rules on Mythic Ranks, any monster or NPC can gain however many ranks the GM assigns them (which bumps the CR by 1/2 per Rank). You can't make a new copy of every race in the editor that is saveable, if you wanted to make a mythic version of such a creature that you can use, you've got to completely recreate the race). You should just be able to add ranks to existing races without going through the editor to accomplish this through the bestiary monster creator without having to rebuild a race from scratch. There should be a way in the existing mechanics to simply add Mythic monster options to existing creatures.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old April 27th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Quote:

So if the idea is to make everything that's a custom creation have to be made using the editor, why do they have the Bestiary Monster Creator feature? There are no rules to monster creation, only guidelines (just like with Mythic), but they implemented those guidelines so that people wouldn't have to go into the editor to create a creature. All that's being asked is to have a similar ability with Mythic. If a GM wants to use Hero Lab for a mythic game, he either has to learn the editor (which you shouldn't have to do unless you're adding truly custom content), or stick with Mythic NPC's and never have any Mythic monsters (except templated ones, which the downfall of that's already covered).
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 27th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Shadow... I am a little hesitant to add user files. I keep all of my portfolios in the cloud since I used 4 different computers to access the files, depending where I am.

Then I have a few different ipads that we place the character sheets on and pass out to players. It becomes a huge hassle.

Thank you for the recommendation
Just FYI if you use the Editor your creating your own .user file. So you will be in the same boat.

What you may wish to do is work through the process of setting up your own Powered by HL feature like I did for the community. This is what I do for my home game to keep all my players devices in sync with each other. As each player has a one to many Windows computers and we have 6 iPads to keep in sync.

I have even seen a few people using Dropbox to support the Powered by HL feature as you can input the Dropbox URL to the updates.xml file into HL. Then once setup anyone is auto-notified to download the next release when they start HL on their Mac, Windows, or iPad.

So that sounds like a solution right up your ally.

That or as mentioned I will be adding the above Mythic Template to the Community Bestiary which is already setup that way.

Just some food for thought....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old April 27th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Yes to what everyone is saying..

Shadow, sadly, I rarely ever open the editor. I have only made one custom item and that was to play with it. I never wanted to use it again.

I purchased hero lab to save time, something I have very little of. Hero lab is a great investment and I do not regret the hundreds I have spent.

One of my players created a custom user file and it was a pain. I had to get the user file installed on all of the computers and then take the time to figure out how to export the user file into a hl file for ipad support.

I am not even sure I remember how I did it. No more custom work for me.

For people that do it frequently, I am sure it it no biggie, but for a person that might touch it once a year, forget it. The editor, as Chris puts it, should not be for the casual user.

I agree 100% with Raven. The Hero lab crew could do this, it will just take time. I am willing to wait, in the meantime, I can just use my current set up. The mythic templates really do not function well for me, but I will use them in a pinch.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Globetrotter is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:10 AM
The editor is for adding custom content, which is a great tool to have, however, it does require the user to actually learn things to make the most of it. I had enough background as a C++ programmer to figure things out on my own with a little direction from Mathias, Colen, and Aaron. But we're talking many of years of adding custom content for both World of Darkness and Pathfinder. Back when I started my Forgotten Realms files there were no existing files to work with online, so I decided to do the work myself. I had to learn a lot of things to get the data added. There have been many late nights spend studying the wiki page and documentation files that come with hero lab just for me to add custom content.

If you're a user that isn't adding custom content regularly, the editor is more of a chore than a help. I really do not feel that adding mythic ranks and options should require creation of a new race. That is just a quick, dirty, easy way out of adding an incrementer and dynamic table into the files (and I wouldn't even know these terms if it wasn't for working on custom files for different systems, even more hours spent studying). Mythic monsters and NPCs could have their own tab where this information is stored and added, I'd be fine with that. I am starting to use Mythic material more in campaigns and hero lab should be saving me time to tinker with these options, not increasing it. Sometimes a single race being added is an hour of work to get working correctly and I'd personally prefer not having to do this amount of work just to get a creature from Bestiary 4 re-created to add mythic ranks when I've already paid for the license to use Bestiary 4 and Mythic Adventures.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I think you've missed my point.

HeroLab is the first (and, unless I missed an announcement, still the only) licensed "official" character management product for Pathfinder. As such, they work with Paizo fairly closely; I know I have seen comments before along that line, with Paizo investing time in the success of a tool they would like to use in-house as well as have others use.

That being said, as the licensee, LoneWolf kind of has to stick with what Paizo has defined. That doesn't mean that something additional cannot be added afterward, but the initial implementation has to stick pretty close to what Paizo intends for usage.

That is why I suggested that maybe a toggle-able house rule to allow direct addition of Mythic Ranks to a standard creature may be an option. Because that preserves the "official" way of doing things, while also allowing people to do something they want to do that does not match the "official" method.
Silveras is offline   #20 Reply With Quote