Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Maidhc O Casain

Old April 12th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Automaton View Post
But this way LWD will have a direct proof of concept to show Paizo. Plus, given how often people have mentioned this campaign/AP/whatever, it would probably be a popular item as an initial offering in the store.
Sure, but really any complete work done by the development team could serve as proof of concept. Once it's complete and published it could be shown to anyone as an example of what could be done, regardless of the original publisher.

And I freely acknowledge that RotRL is probably the most popular AP ever - certainly up at the top of the list - and that lots of folks want it.

I mentioned the stretch goal publications because those publications have been specifically promised for completion already, and "paid for" by the Kickstarter backers. Just seems like good customer service to work on the stuff that's already been bought.

I'm definitely not trying to start an argument here, or to imply that LWD is lacking in customer service - if I weren't a well satisfied customer I wouldn't have kept buying the HeroLab supplements, and wouldn't have pledged as a Kickstarter for RealmWorks. Was just asking the question.

Last edited by Maidhc O Casain; April 12th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old April 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Actually Mowgli the best way to look at the RotRL Ap being added as a bonus and that is what I would like to see. While I am wanting the Kickstarter stuff I want this actually more. Would I want to see the AP I really want. sure.. but I will settle for this, a bonus!
Nikmal is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old April 12th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Yep, I get that. I want RotRL in RealmWorks too.

But the single - the only - thing about LW that I regularly stew over is that they keep putting old stuff on the back burner in order to put out new stuff. There's stuff in HeroLabs that's been tagged as "The effects of [. . .] haven't been implemented yet" for at least three years. That does bother me, especially when I run into one of them when making a character and it becomes obvious I've paid for an incomplete product. I buy 'em anyway, and I'll keep on buying 'em, because in every other way I can think of they're a great company and they put out great, quality products.

I guess my thinking about this was that I don't want the KS stretch goals to get pushed aside in the name of other (more popular?) stuff, but now that I think of it, it's probably going to be up to FGG and Pinnacle (and whoever else tossed Realms into the Kickstarter project) to do them for RW rather than LoneWolf.

So, never mind . . . Carry on, LW! Get RotRL done so I can buy it too .
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old April 12th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
But the single - the only - thing about LW that I regularly stew over is that they keep putting old stuff on the back burner in order to put out new stuff. There's stuff in HeroLabs that's been tagged as "The effects of [. . .] haven't been implemented yet" for at least three years. That does bother me, especially when I run into one of them when making a character and it becomes obvious I've paid for an incomplete product. I buy 'em anyway, and I'll keep on buying 'em, because in every other way I can think of they're a great company and they put out great, quality products.
They do tend to have an idea about their business model that I don't think is necessarily the right one. Obviously working on RotRL is relevant because they want the marketplace and so forth feature to be implemented at relatively high priority. I personally think that this will never be even remotely an important part of Realm Works, this being a software for world creators first and foremost. Not saying that there's no use to it, but I honestly think there are other, more 'boring' things to do: I for one would like to see some improvements in terms of interface responsiveness and performance. Then again, I do realize that any time spent optimizing a piece of software that is still planned to receive multiple core feature updates is essentially wasted time since one has to re-optimize it with every addition.
monsterfurby is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 12th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Important Clarification...

A good chunk of the Kickstarter material has already been entered. We've got two staff members working full time on that effort right now. We can't RELEASE any of that stuff until we get a few more critical building blocks into place for Realm Works itself, but we're well underway on getting everything in.

So why are we going to use RofRL as our reference? The reasons are many. First, in a number of cases, we're NOT working from the published PDFs for Kickstarter material (we've got material in Word docs and the like). In addition, we started with the simpler material first, since we first needed to work through how best to do a lot of stuff ourselves. So we don't have anything big in place yet that was derived from a published PDF. What the vast majority of users are clamoring for is an example of going from a published PDF into Realm Works, so we need to provide that and don't have a good example yet.

Another factor is that we don't yet have an official license in place from Paizo for doing their Adventure Paths and the like. A license IS in place for all the rulebooks and such, but not yet for setting/adventure content. Paizo has basically said "We're keenly interested, but we need to see it in action with our material to truly believe." So our objective is to give them a concrete example of THEIR material so they can clearly see all the same benefits that you folks are envisioning (and seeing already with your own material).

The best solution is to put RotRL into Realm Works to showcase it, both to Paizo AND to users as a prime example of how to do stuff. I'm actually doing large chunks of the work myself, as doing so allows me to better write the "Best Practices" guide with concrete examples. I'm also identifying things that we need to adjust in how we're currently handling all the Kickstarter material to make the content even more useful. So this effort isn't derailing work on the Kickstarter material at all. It's in parallel and will ultimately enhance that work, as well as providing valuable insights to users in the form of concrete examples.

Hope this helps!!!
rob is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old April 12th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Rob, now THAT is news I love hearing/reading
Nikmal is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Jaynay27

Old April 12th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Awesome Rob - thx again for the clarification.

I REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. hope Paizo (particularly) come to the party on this one

I begrudgingly cancelled my Paizo AP subscription several months ago due to a combination of living in Australia (shipping costs and exchange rate) and the small increase in AP costs (though if I lived in the USA this would have been less of a problem). The ability to purchase Paizo AP material for RW (and herolab) would make me a paying customer again, so there is clearly a benefit for Paizo...I am sure I am not the only one with these issues!

Is there anything more we can to do express our (customers) interest to publishers?
I don't wanna spam them all with emails etc, but perhaps posting a message on the Paizo/3rd party messageboards indicating our interest, where RW users can sign in and add their support?

Last edited by Jaynay27; April 12th, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Jaynay27 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old April 12th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Go to Paizo\s web site and shout it from the roof tops!!!
You do not have to spam the site but starting a thread with Realm Works in mind is a start and trying to get other people involved
Nikmal is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 12th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
Obviously working on RotRL is relevant because they want the marketplace and so forth feature to be implemented at relatively high priority. I personally think that this will never be even remotely an important part of Realm Works, this being a software for world creators first and foremost.
I just wanted to point out that, aside from the business explanation Rob gave, the Marketplace is linked to the Repository functionality.. the Repository is the delivery mechanism for purchase in the Marketplace. It is also the tool for you to re-use your content.

Ok, you have a home-brew world (so do I). But if you want to run more than one campaign in it, without spending large amounts of time clearing "play data" out of the "setting baseline data" -- or more time re-entering the same data into a new Realm -- so you can start fresh.. then you need that Repository. Because that's what will let you enter that home-brew world once and use that data, "clean", in multiple campaigns.

The Marketplace is also what will let you share your home-brew world with other interested GMs and players.. free, or for pay, as you choose.

I, for one, disagree that it "will never be even remotely an important part of Realm Works".. on the contrary, I think it will be one of the most important parts. Of course, that just goes to show how opinions and perspectives differ.
Silveras is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 12th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Ok, you have a home-brew world (so do I). But if you want to run more than one campaign in it, without spending large amounts of time clearing "play data" out of the "setting baseline data" -- or more time re-entering the same data into a new Realm -- so you can start fresh.. then you need that Repository. Because that's what will let you enter that home-brew world once and use that data, "clean", in multiple campaigns.
Just for the benefit of my understanding, you would do that (as I think I've read before elsewhere in this forum) by creating and populating your realm as a base realm and never running any games from it. You would then copy it, and use the copy to run any single game instance.

Is that correct?
EightBitz is offline   #20 Reply With Quote