Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vlademeer

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Adding categories appears to be quite simple, but is there a way to add a new Generic Group (People, Places, Other, etc.)?

I would like to have a Generic Group dedicated to Enemies/Adversaries but I cannot find a way to create a new group if it is possible.

I don't want a large list of enemies listed under "Other" where other topics are thrown in.

Is this possible or should I stop trying?
Vlademeer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I have created a new group for Cultures and I simply created a new category which I called 'Group: Cultures', I then chose the picture for the Icon and put it under "Groups" in the Simple Grouping.

Hope this helps.
Teresa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:22 AM
AFAIK, while a user can create any Category he wants, the Groups are hardcoded by the developers.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:41 AM
As mentioned, you cannot make a new Simple Grouping.

If you're not organizing them some other way, why not make an "Enemies" topic in People and set that as the Containing Topic for your otherwise loose Enemies? You could use the Cast List category for your starting point if you're using the global categories.

You could also Contain enemies under their location, scene, or other plot-related item.

Last edited by Parody; July 7th, 2014 at 10:47 AM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2014, 04:53 AM
All the above suggestions work well.

One caution against having an "Enemies" cast list is that this will telegraph information to the players that you may not want them to know. If you plan on using Player Edition or web-based player access in the future, you'll want to keep you topics organized for the players as well. If all the bad guys are clearly labeled that way, the players might know somebody is an enemy before they would otherwise realize it during play. It's probably better to have your cast lists be regional or tied to broader storylines, where there will be a combination of allies and enemies.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I have created a new group for Cultures and I simply created a new category which I called 'Group: Cultures', I then chose the picture for the Icon and put it under "Groups" in the Simple Grouping.
We already have a "Group: Ethnicity" category that we envisioned would be used for this purpose. Maybe we need to either add a "Culture" category or extend the existing "Ethnicity" one to eliminate the need for a separate one. How does your "Culture" category differ from the "Ethnicity" one?

Thanks!
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
We already have a "Group: Ethnicity" category that we envisioned would be used for this purpose. Maybe we need to either add a "Culture" category or extend the existing "Ethnicity" one to eliminate the need for a separate one. How does your "Culture" category differ from the "Ethnicity" one?
I'm working on building an alternate story of Earth, so I'm adding prehistoric cultures based on industry type (stone/copper/bronze/etc.) and produce (pottery/beads/fabric) as well as farming/foraging/herding/hunting economy.

I'm still not sure how detailed I'm going to put it (and I'm not really aiming at the whole world prehistoric cultures), but eventually the ethnic groups will exist inside these cultures (like western culture encompansing several ethnic groups).

Anyway I do have some weird ideas (probably because I'm not really a gamer, just worldbuilding for writing), for example, I'm using plots (with lots of subplots and subsubplots) to roughly describe life evolution so I can later branch out specific fictional species. o_O So, I really don't know if the regular gamers would see this new group as interesting enough to add, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

BTW, thanks for such a great work with RW!

PS: (I hope no one gets offended if I just go about calling them 'gamers'??)

Last edited by Teresa; July 8th, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
Teresa is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Ah! Thanks for the details! It sounds like you need to flesh things out for cultures in much greater detail than is typical, so the separate category makes perfect sense. Our goal with the default structure is to support 90+% of cases. The full customization is there to support the other cases and let users tailor the product to suit their particular wants and needs.

As for the term "gamers", it's what we call ourselves, so there should never be offense taken with that term. To me, at least, it's pretty much the same as calling someone from America an "American".
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old July 10th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I think you'll find that most of us consider the term "gamer" to be something of a badge of honour. Particularly when we get to be inclusive.

Good luck with your world building! Sounds like a very interesting and ambitious project.
Chemlak is offline   #9 Reply With Quote