Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

tml

Old August 9th, 2015, 10:24 PM
I have watched all 7 of the Realm Works Tutorials, but there still seem to be a LOT of features that haven't been explained at all, and the Quickstart Guide under "Help" seems to cover most of the same material.

I'm definitely not "using content [I've] acquired from the community or purchased," so the "Gamer's Guide" doesn't seem a good fit. I opened the "World Builder's Guide," as this seems to be the closest to my own use-case, but it wants me to choose an approach on how I'll use the tool before I even make it past page 5, and I'm not really sure HOW I'll use the tool when I'm still trying to understand what all these bells, knobs, and blinkenlights do.

Are there other resources I'm missing - /r/realmworks seems dead, is there a G+ Group or something?
tml is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tml

Old August 9th, 2015, 10:31 PM
As one immediate example, I setup a new Realm and am trying to capture my Dungeon World campaign in it. Entering the first PC's info, I want to choose the correct class, and see all of this:

I need a Thief - which, OK, I can add right here using the blue "+" button - but most of those things need to go (why are they even there in a brand-new Realm?) as DW has a very limited set of classes available. Where do I manage that aspect of my Realm?

Last edited by tml; August 9th, 2015 at 10:38 PM.
tml is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 9th, 2015, 11:10 PM
The Global Categories and Tags are set up for Pathfinder.

The intent is for you to hide individual Tags you don't want in the Global Tag Domains and add ones you do want. This keeps compatibility with the eventual Market, at least in theory. (As we don't yet have the Market, it's hard to say how people are going to use it.)

In my Paranoia realm I ended up hiding most of the Global Categories and Tag Domains and using custom created ones instead. This protects my creations from changes made to the Global items by LWD. It also lets me do everything in ways that best fit the system as well as how I think and/or write. However, it also means that I would have to do more work to integrate things acquired from the Market. I don't plan on adding anything from the Market to my Paranoia realm, so I don't care. :)

Last edited by Parody; August 9th, 2015 at 11:26 PM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
tml

Old August 9th, 2015, 11:14 PM
I see "World Almanac" and "Story Almanac" - no "Global Almanac"?
tml is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 9th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml View Post
Where do I manage that aspect of my Realm?
On the Manage Ribbon, click Tags or Categories. That's where you can edit the Tags and Tag Domains or Categories (respectively).

Global Categories and Tag Domains have a Planet Earth icon, while custom ones have a dot.

Quote:
Are there other resources I'm missing - /r/realmworks seems dead, is there a G+ Group or something?
There's this Realm Works Community on G+. Also a couple groups and/or Pages on Facebook and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. I don't pay much attention to things outside of this forum.

Quote:
I see "World Almanac" and "Story Almanac" - no "Global Almanac"?
The Almanacs (Topic Views) and References (Article Views) are a way for you to create subsets of the Topics/Articles you've created.

The World Almanac always shows all of your Topics, while the Mechanics Reference always shows all of your Articles. Custom Topic/Article Views are subsets of these. In a new realm, Realm Works creates a Story Almanac as a custom Topic View. The intent is for you to put your current Topics in it for quick reference, and move items in and out of it as your players proceed through your adventures.

ObTopic: Honestly, I'd make a couple test realms (with and without the tutorial items) and just mess with them. Throw together things like an Inn (with NPCs), a combat encounter, a new special ability. Think about the approaches described in the World Builder's Guide and try the one(s) that resonate with you. The goal for now is to get a feel for how Realm Works works and what things you can do and would like to do with it. Unfortunately, it's hard to look at what others are doing without the Market, but there's a bunch of good people here answering questions at all hours of the day. :)

Last edited by Parody; August 10th, 2015 at 12:13 AM.
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Agyess

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Parody seem to get your specific questions so I'll go a bit more general:

This is the beauty and flaw of realmworks. You can choose to set up and organize your realm in the way that is most organic and intuitive to you, but looking at that first blank slate can be overwhelming.

I'd go with Parody's advice. play around with things a bit and get a feel for the basic of how things work, then try and match/build things to your own way of thinking. Once you have an idea of what you want, you can come back here and ask specif questions and people are more than willing to help out.
Agyess is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
tml

Old August 10th, 2015, 12:44 AM
I don't need that much from Realm Works, though; right now, I have a very specific need that it seemed like RW was a pretty good fit for, if I can just figure out how to approach the software to address the need.

Namely: I am in the GM of Dungeon World game every Wednesday with 3 people who are VERY lore-heavy. After three sessions, we still haven't made it out of the character-intro / bond part of the game, because they all have so much backstory going on. In those three games, I have filled almost half an 80 sheet, college-ruled, 1 subject notebook with notes. As the GM, the players expect me to keep up with them, and weave the 3 distinct stories into a cohesive plot.

So I spent some time looking online, and RW kept coming up; from what I could find, it seemed like it MIGHT be a good fit, but everything seems so oriented to people who are starting fresh, crafting everything from a single perspective. The adverts made it sound like a version of Evernote that would use language analysis to keep track of cross-references between notes, and provide meaningful structured fields; but in using it, it seems a lot more like a blank canvas than the paint-by-numbers tool I was hoping for.
tml is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 10th, 2015, 01:34 AM
IMHO, you absolutely MUST read through the first few chapters of the Tips & Tricks Guide. If you don't, you're going to miss out on some incredibly useful suggestions on how to get started with RW and how to make your life better when using it (e.g. <ctrl+Q>).

From your description, you need to start with topics for the various PCs and begin fleshing them out. Add further topics for the various people, places, items, events, and storylines that tie those PCs together. As everything evolves and gets auto-linked together, I believe you'll start to see some of the power of RW. You'll also be able to start seeing opportunities where you can extrapolate from these pieces and start to weave in plots and related aspects for the campaign that tie back to the material the players have given you about their PCs.

From my perspective, you ARE essentially starting fresh. The only real difference is that your players are providing you with a large chunk of the background instead of you having to create it all yourself. Once you have that background in place, regardless of where it originates, you'll then be crafting a campaign that builds upon it. It sure seems like your process will play to RW's strengths as soon as the background is mapped out.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
tml

Old August 10th, 2015, 01:44 AM
I have tried creating my own "Class" tag domain, but I think this is causing the app to crash (bug reports already sent from inside app). If I delete the unused classes from the Global "Class" tag domain, is there a way to get them back at a later date?

rob - thanks for the suggestion, I will start the "Tips & Tricks" right away.

Last edited by tml; August 10th, 2015 at 01:46 AM.
tml is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 10th, 2015, 08:27 AM
My advice is to create a test campaign. Spend a week entering material. Move things around. Use containers and then re-examine them asking whether anything in those containers could possibly also belong to another container -- and then decide what to do about that. Work with the standard tags and add some of your own while making others not visible. Create links. copy/paste material into several categories. Create duplicate category names and see how it reacts. Reveal some content and then show it in player view to see how players might see it. Get frustrated over player view font size. Search for answers here in the forums. Ask here or on G+.

Then start your campaign for your game.

Or just dive into your campaign like I did. And when you change your mind on how to organize material, give yourself permission to redo it, move it, reconsider and get frustrated. My methodology has morphed and evolved so many times. And sometimes it means I'm updating 100's of links to satisfy myself.

Have fun.
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote