Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Prons

Old January 10th, 2017, 12:37 AM
Hello all, I've been using RealmWorks for a week or two and have read a fair bit of the documentation. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

Is there an easy way to scan for links in more than one topic? Currently I go from topic to topic and use the keyshortcut to save and search for new links, but this can be pretty time consuming when my realm has dozens of topics. Is there an easier or more automated way to go through each topic to scan for new links?

Thanks in advance!
Prons is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 10th, 2017, 07:00 AM
You mean scan for new links in old topics? Not really.

There are some things you can do that will cut down on needing to do this though. When you are entering content and type in something that you intend to eventually be a topic name highlight it and press CTRL - q. That will bring up the quick create dialogue which will let you create the topic and tag it empty for ease of finding it later. That way when you save the topic you are working on the link will be created. You can then go and fill in that new topic at your leisure by searching for topics with the "empty" tag.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old January 10th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I asked this before, no there is not.
adzling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 10th, 2017, 08:15 AM
I believe this is a planned feature that is not implemented yet.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 10th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Set aside some time. Open topic. Edit. Add space to any snippet. Delete space. Save. It will scan. Rinse and repeat.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 10th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Set aside some time. Open topic. Edit. Add space to any snippet. Delete space. Save. It will scan. Rinse and repeat.
Fortunately, it's not QUITE that bad anymore. There's now a dedicated menu item and hotkey for running automatic link detection on a topic without needing to make a meaningless edit. Use either ctrl+shift+D, or the Topic options menu > Quick Edit Content > "Scan for new content links...".

Of course you still have to visit each topic to perform this, which is not ideal, but it can save you a few steps on each at least.
Joe is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 10th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Could you imagine clicking 'Scan entire realm for new links' in a mature realm though...

I can... and jeezus that scares me. Would take half a day.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 10th, 2017, 01:19 PM
@Joe: I'll stick to space, backspace, save. It's the same number of keystrokes and I don't clutter my brain with another shortcut. I do like that there is an option now though as my method is definitely not intuitive.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 10th, 2017, 01:25 PM
That's part of what worries me about putting things like Golarian together piecemeal.

I have no idea which AP's or source books are coming first but there will almost certainly be stuff that gets mentioned just in passing. Maybe the author will be thorough and give everything a stub topic even if it isn't covered in the particular book in question but if not then down the road when the book that does cover that does get the RW treatment, no links from the old material to the new.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 10th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Could you imagine clicking 'Scan entire realm for new links' in a mature realm though...

I can... and jeezus that scares me. Would take half a day.
Would still be worth it. I could see starting the operation in the morning and letting it run all night. Whether it would really take that long depends on the machine you are running it on.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote