Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Notices

zartust

Old August 28th, 2018, 04:37 PM
I'm using herolab online and the monk flurry of blows action doesn't show for in the actions tab of the play section. Is there a reason for this?
zartust is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
oadrian

Old August 28th, 2018, 07:17 PM
It doesn't add any of the monk special attacks. Though with flurry you don't need anything special. All attacks are made with your unarmed Strikes. But it would be nice if it was listed.
oadrian is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 28th, 2018, 10:44 PM
The 4th attack for FoB is a known issue.

The other unarmed strikes do work for the monk. You have to Click INTO the ability turn on the different stances:
Tiger1.jpg

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
oadrian

Old August 29th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Ah. Thanks for that. My concern with that is that it doesn't interact with normal attacks. Since you can mix attacks from different types, especially with monks, it means that the roller isn't that useful as you have to make lots of manual adjustments in your head to account for the multi-attack penalty and along with the Agile and Backswing trait.
oadrian is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old August 29th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oadrian View Post
Ah. Thanks for that. My concern with that is that it doesn't interact with normal attacks. Since you can mix attacks from different types, especially with monks, it means that the roller isn't that useful as you have to make lots of manual adjustments in your head to account for the multi-attack penalty and along with the Agile and Backswing trait.
Actually with the new advanced dice roller LW put in you can easily do all your attacks with different weapons.

Lets say you do your first attack with a normal fist. Then spend an action to enter Tiger Stance and finally make a Tiger Claw attack.

In the dice roller for Tiger Stance you set the attack to the 2nd by using the + on the dice roller window:

Dice Roller 1.jpg

This is the same way you can use if attacking with a Longsword and Shortsword.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
oadrian

Old August 29th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Actually with the new advanced dice roller LW put in you can easily do all your attacks with different weapons.
I wouldn't say that's easy. Let's say my attack is Dragon Tail, Fist, Dragon Tail, Fist.

I would have to open the dragon tail roller and roll it. Then close it, open the fist roller, adjust the attack number, then roll it. Then close that, then open the dragon tail roller again, adjusting the attack number. Then and so on and so on.

Would it be possible to create a roller that includes multiple kinds of attacks along with a reset button? I understand that with some work I can get what I'm looking for, but I could also just do the numbers in my head and roll dice. I'm looking for something streamlined.
oadrian is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old August 29th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Would it be possible to create a roller that includes multiple kinds of attacks along with a reset button? I understand that with some work I can get what I'm looking for, but I could also just do the numbers in my head and roll dice. I'm looking for something streamlined.
How? How can the software know what weapon you plan to strike next with? The combinations as you yourself pointed out is huge.

To "stream line" you would not only have to identify which weapon is equipped but which "attack" you plan to take with it. I don't see that really being better than what we got.

In addition none of that takes into account using a Skill with an attack trait or a spell with an attack trait. If I cast a cantrip with an attack trait first and then decide to try and shoot a bow (my players are actually doing this combo in my playtest) the bow shots at a -4 penalty.

Quote:
I wouldn't say that's easy. Let's say my attack is Dragon Tail, Fist, Dragon Tail, Fist.
I have to point out that making this type of attack routine is really bad. As you are suddenly throwing in a -10 attack with the 2nd Dragon Tail. Then trying to end with a -8 agile.

You would be much better off to take the +2 to hit from the agile so you end up with +0/-4/-8/-8. The big advantage of agile weapons is the bonus in later attacks. Why would you do a Dragon Tail at -10? The routine you listed is +0/-4/-10/-8. Even a two dragon tail attack in the FoB then going to fist would be better at +0/-5/-8/-8.

So I have to wonder if you are giving an example to prove a point that is the opposite of how you would really play the game?

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
oadrian

Old August 29th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
How? How can the software know what weapon you plan to strike next with? The combinations as you yourself pointed out is huge.

To "stream line" you would not only have to identify which weapon is equipped but which "attack" you plan to take with it. I don't see that really being better than what we got.

In addition none of that takes into account using a Skill with an attack trait or a spell with an attack trait. If I cast a cantrip with an attack trait first and then decide to try and shoot a bow (my players are actually doing this combo in my playtest) the bow shots at a -4 penalty.

I have to point out that making this type of attack routine is really bad. As you are suddenly throwing in a -10 attack with the 2nd Dragon Tail. Then trying to end with a -8 agile.

You would be much better off to take the +2 to hit from the agile so you end up with +0/-4/-8/-8. The big advantage of agile weapons is the bonus in later attacks. Why would you do a Dragon Tail at -10? The routine you listed is +0/-4/-10/-8. Even a two dragon tail attack in the FoB then going to fist would be better at +0/-5/-8/-8.

So I have to wonder if you are giving an example to prove a point that is the opposite of how you would really play the game?
Honestly it depends on what misses. It could be 0/-3/-10/-7 assuming both dragon tail attacks miss. But it wasn't a real example. That said, there are plenty of real examples where you might end up switching attacks especially if there's movement involved. And being completely optimum isn't strictly necessary if the thing itself looks cool. It's not always about min/maxing. But I get your point about optimizing for the commonplace solution.

That said, there are instances where you might mix in attacks. There are additional UI designs that would be a little more streamlined for mixed weapon types. I say this as a UI developer.
oadrian is offline   #8 Reply With Quote