Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

davedcne

Old September 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I picked up hero lab with the intent of stripping out all the D&D specific rules classes gear etc etc from d20 and replacing them with CoC substitutions. Replacing classes with profession templates and substituting eliminating class requirements for spells since investigators can use them as long as they learn them.

Basically keeping the base d20 components in tact since all of the basic components of the character would remain the same attributes traits saves etc.However I seem to be running into a rather substantial road block...

I seem to be able to add my new content with no problem (most of my skills and equipment data files are done), but stripping out the extra stuff that I don't want and making alterations to some of the core components seems impossible. (replacing the gp cp pp with $$$USD) There isn't any way to edit the basic files for d20 due to the fact that they are in package files is there? Is my only option to recreate d20 from scratch? Or is there perhaps a way to override existing functions completely without removing them to force hero lab to ignore some of the parts of the system that don't necessarily apply to my game system?

I suppose I'm not opposed to rewriting d20 from scratch if necessary but it seems silly to re-invent the wheel.

--Dave
davedcne is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM
See the polls in the Hero Lab Discussion forum - one of the directions we may go is to produce a stripped down version of the d20 system suitable for conversion into the many d20 variants.

Yes, the d20 files are packaged, and the core mechanics can't be user-modified. The authoring kit could be used to create the d20 files, but remember that the d20 files represent many months of work, and replacing them in the authoring kit would be an extensive undertaking.

The amount of overriding depends on exactly what you're trying to accomplish. The money, for example, couldn't be done by a user. Please tell me what else you've run into, and I can try to help you accomplish it or find a way around it (the best I can suggest for the money system is to pretend that it says $ instead of gp, I'm afraid).
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
davedcne

Old September 12th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Alas I was certain that was what you were going to say. I think I'm just going to have to accept the extra stuff. Mostly what I was trying to do was pare it down so that only stuff pertinent to my game was showing. And then do class alterations. I can easily do all the additions I want so that's no problem I just have to ask my players to ignore / sift through all the strictly D&D stuff that doesn't apply to the game world I'm working in. BUT on the up side if you all do decide to create a stripped down version or even just a CoC version that would be great! I'll take a look at the poll and register my vote there. Thanks for the info.

--Dave
davedcne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Mgehl, Didn't there used to be an option to hide things in the data files? I seem to recall discussion of that.
Lawful_g is offline   #4 Reply With Quote