Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

senjak

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I feel sort of like I've been chasing my tail for the last few hours, as I've gone round and round and not gotten anywhere. And I suspect that I've just missed something obvious.

I'm trying to make the Pixie from Savage Species (if you've got it working and are willing to share, please send it my way!)

So, I've got the race down, and I've built a monster class that looks promising, and I've got the race selectable from the drop down, and the class can be selected as well.

Now I'm stuck. I want to restrict/allow <stuff> based upon level; however, looking through the various examples I spied, "count:Classes.rFeralGarg >=2" which looked promising.

Sadly, it didn't work.

What do I need to define, and where does it need to be defined so that I can do a simple compare against the current class level?

Thanks for any tips you can offer, my brain is melted for today.

Senjak
senjak is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Are you making this in Pathfinder, or in d20? I'd like to move this to the correct forum (the authoring kit is for creating new games from scratch - adding more material to an existing game is handled with the integrated editor for that game).
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:50 AM
For D20. Thanks for fixing where this should be. Brain was pretty melted when I posted last night.

Senjak
senjak is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senjak View Post
I feel sort of like I've been chasing my tail for the last few hours, as I've gone round and round and not gotten anywhere. And I suspect that I've just missed something obvious.

I'm trying to make the Pixie from Savage Species (if you've got it working and are willing to share, please send it my way!)

So, I've got the race down, and I've built a monster class that looks promising, and I've got the race selectable from the drop down, and the class can be selected as well.

Now I'm stuck. I want to restrict/allow <stuff> based upon level; however, looking through the various examples I spied, "count:Classes.rFeralGarg >=2" which looked promising.

Sadly, it didn't work.

What do I need to define, and where does it need to be defined so that I can do a simple compare against the current class level?

Thanks for any tips you can offer, my brain is melted for today.

Senjak
Can you tell me more about what you are doing? The "count:Classes.." stuff is for bootstrapping. It should work, but timing issues can occur. Can you tell me what it is you are trying to bootstrap? I'll have some time tomorrow to take a look at this.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old July 21st, 2013, 09:27 PM
Hello,

My goal would to have a monster class where certain abilities became active dependent upon level. For example ability X wouldn't be active until you had three levels of the monster class.

Thanks,

Senjak
senjak is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:35 AM
Are you making it in the class tab like you would a regular class? If so, you can just make a class special and set it to the proper level like you would a normal class special. I haven't done any work on monster class levels, so if that's not what you are doing, maybe you could attach your .user file so I could take a look at it.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:39 PM
Is there better documentation on how to use the monster class tabs? Self documenting code never really seems to be self documenting. :-(

Thanks for taking a look at this. I appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Senjak
Attached Files
File Type: email MDG -- Savage Species.user (5.0 KB, 5 views)
senjak is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
Ok, so a few things. First, your class level doesn't seem to be properly linking with the Monster Class. To fix this you need to change the Containerreq to "ClsMonster.mcPixie" and set the phase/priority to Testing Global Tags/1. Prior to this change, the file didn't compile for me.

Two, in going through the exercise of creating my own Pixie monster class, I don't think its necessary to create a separate Pixie race. Once you create the Monster class, it appears as a selectable race. Once you select it, you can then add monster class levels. I suspect you can delete the Pixie race and handle everything through the monster class tab.

Finally, in answer to your question, let's use Fly as an example of something to add at second level (since that's when the Pixie gets it in Savage Species). To do this, you need to know the class tag of your Pixie class. Its not obvious from the editor, so in yor portfolio, select your race/class combo, then open up the Hero Tags window (Develop --> Floating Info Windows --> Show Hero Tags.

Look for the Classes tag near the top (in this case its Classes.mcPixie). Back in the editor, go to your bootstrapped Fly and include the following as a condition:

Code:
count:Classes.mcPixie>= 2
And voila, fly will not be added until you have taken two levels of the Pixie monster class.

Unfortunately, monster classes seem to have an annoying message that pops up every time you do anything:

Quote:
Attempt to access field 'cSpellExpr' that does not exist for thing 'mcPixie'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Totals' (Eval Script '#6') near line 7
- - -
Attempt to access field 'cSplBkExpr' that does not exist for thing 'mcPixie'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Totals' (Eval Script '#6') near line 8
- - -
Attempt to access field 'cSplScExpr' that does not exist for thing 'mcPixie'
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Totals' (Eval Script '#6') near line 9
I'm not really sure what to do about those. Maybe that's what you were trying to get rid of with your linkage changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjak View Post
Is there better documentation on how to use the monster class tabs? Self documenting code never really seems to be self documenting. :-(
Not that I'm aware of, but like I said I haven't really looked into it myself prior to this.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:28 AM
Those annoying messages are due to a bug in the software, one that I've reported and has not had anything done with it. The 'Totals' are what is on your hero, and those are tSpellExpr, tSplBkExpr, and tSplScExpr, so it is trying to access a cXXX version that does not exist on that component. It does exist on the race itself, but that one is never referenced, which is annoying.
Kendall-DM is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and tips! I'll blow everything away and start over to make sure that I get a clean start.
senjak is offline   #10 Reply With Quote