Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

suomi1

Old February 26th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I was wondering, what would be the best approach to handling Gestalt classes from Unearthed Arcana? Is that something best handled from the perspective of data files, or would working something like that in require some other approach? Thanks in advance for any advice.
suomi1 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:02 AM
At 02:33 AM 2/26/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering, what would be the best approach to handling Gestalt classes from Unearthed Arcana? Is that something best handled from the perspective of data files, or would working something like that in require some other approach? Thanks in advance for any advice. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Colen and I just discussed this topic. We need to still make one key modification to the core d20 data files in order to reasonaly support gestalt classes. Once that's done, there will be two ways to create a gestalt class. One method will be relatively brute force in nature, but it will require no custom data file creation. The other method will be very clean to use, but it WILL require the creation of a custom class in the data files to represent the gestalted class combination. This latter method will be relatively straightforward for users to implement and the resulting character will work very smoothly, so I'm guessing this is how most users will handle it. But the option will exist.

I'm not sure whether the aforementioned change will be included in the next update or not. But it's definitely on our list to be added relatively soon.

-Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:56 AM
So I'll be able to do this?

1st level - ranger 1/paladin 1
2nd level - ranger 2/rogue 1
3rd level - rogue 2/sorcerer 1
4th level - paladin 2/sorcerer 2
kingpaul is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:25 AM
At 04:56 AM 3/3/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
So I'll be able to do this?

1st level - ranger 1/paladin 1
2nd level - ranger 2/rogue 1
3rd level - rogue 2/sorcerer 1
4th level - paladin 2/sorcerer 2
Yes, indeed. If you use the optimal approach, which I think will be a much preferable method, you'll need to create a separate gestalt class level entry in the data files for each pair of classes you want to use. That way, each pair is properly treated as a single effective level within HL. This will equate to creating a new "class level" thing using the editor. Once the different pairs are created, you'll be able to select pairs exactly like you would pick a separate level of Fighter, Wizard, etc.

-Rob
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Yeah, that's how, right now, PCGen has to do gestalted characters. Do a combine for each level in the data files.
kingpaul is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
At 08:30 AM 3/3/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, that's how, right now, PCGen has to do gestalted characters. Do a combine for each level in the data files.
Colen came up with an even slicker way to solve it, requiring no data file mucking at all. However, that technique will require that I add some additional capabilities to the engine, which have now joined the lengthy todo list (along with fun things like psionics). So the optimal solution is still a little ways off and simple data file mucking will have to suffice in the near term. :-)

-Rob
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Talonious

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:55 PM
So what ever happened to this on the to-do list back in 2007?
Talonious is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 13th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Pathfinder. 4th Edition. A perfect storm.
Kendall-DM is offline   #8 Reply With Quote