Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - World of Darkness
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ChaosInc80

Old June 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Ok, I've been trying to figure out what my issue here is and all I've gotten is extremely pissed off.

Trying to add the discipline "Scourge". Every time I try to enhance the discipline for a profile I get the following error:

Discipline level 'Penitence Through Pain' is missing required linkages

Settings:
Level: 1
Behavior: Reflexive
Linked Attribute: Wits
Linked Skill: Medicine
Linked Discipline: Scourge
Roll Source: Wits, Medicine
Dice Pool: Wits + Medicine + Scourge

Testing gives no errors. I'm completely lost here.
ChaosInc80 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm going to need to take a closer look at what you've added to give you concrete assistance. Please send me your data file (and any other data files that are relied upon). You can email them to me at helpdesk at wolflair dot com.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ChaosInc80

Old June 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Email send with my attached file.
ChaosInc80 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ChaosInc80

Old June 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I don't mean to sound pushy, but has this been looked at yet? I just added another bloodline discipline and I'm getting the same errors for the discipline levels. I have 2 more bloodline disciplines to add yet and kinda getting frustrated at having these popups every time I click something on their toons.
ChaosInc80 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
I realize you're frustrated, but I need you to be reasonable in your expectations. You sent me the files Thursday night. That gave me one normal business day (Friday) to look at them. And you're getting impatient on Sunday. I also happen to be on the road at a tradeshow (PaizoCon) right now, which just ended today. So please be reasonable with your expectations.

I took a look at the file you sent me. I do *not* get the error you are reporting above. The file you sent me includes a very different set of errors, which can be readily fixed. When the Scourge discipline is added, I get a bunch of errors about unreliable access to the bootstrap source for a unique pick. This error is the result of designating the discipline level picks as unique, which they should not be. Once I toggled the discipline levels to be non-unique, everything worked nicely for me.

Hope this helps. Please note that I'm going to have minimal access to the internet for another few days, so I likely won't be able to assist further until I'm back in the office late this week.

Edit: I'm using the latest set of WoD data files that were released last week. I doubt that is the reason I'm seeing different behavior from you, but it's possible.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
I had a further thought about the error you reported. The discipline refers the level via the bootstrap and the level references the discipline for its linkage. I'm guessing you entered and tested one, then the other, and got the error. Since they both reference each other, you need to enter one, test it to integrate it into the database, then enter and test the other to integrate it, and finally need to go back and re-test the original one to update its linkages. If you don't do that, you'll get the error you reported *and* the file will work fine when I drop it in and everything gets re-compiled.

Another trick you can use is, after entering the discipline and level, use the Quick Reload option from the Develop menu. That should get everything properly resolved as well.

Hope this helps....
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ChaosInc80

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry for seeming impatient and I do appreciate the work done so far as well as the incoming improvements. I've just been stressed for the last few weeks (end of term) and thought it'd had been more time passed than actually did.

I don't get the error when I test the files, only after I assign the discipline to a character. At which point if I try to manipulate/add anything further, it pops the error. I'll try your suggestions and post back what happens.

EDIT: Changing the levels from no longer being unique seems to have worked, at least with Scourge. I haven't checked the other disciplines I've added yet, but I'm feeling confident that they will work as well. On a side note (question, actually), was purpose does the options Unique/Add Once/No server? I looked through the tutorials and haven't been able to find the info involving these, only the importance of the UniqueID.

Last edited by ChaosInc80; June 24th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
ChaosInc80 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosInc80 View Post
On a side note (question, actually), was purpose does the options Unique/Add Once/No server? I looked through the tutorials and haven't been able to find the info involving these, only the importance of the UniqueID.
A "unique" thing is one that can only ever be added a single time. This is important for things that can actually be added via multiple places, perhaps multiple times, but they behave as if they were only added once. They are primarily used in conjunction with bootstraps. For example, in d20, there are many basic feats that are automatically added to a character via races, classes, etc. The "Simple Weapon Proficiency" feat is automatically possessed by all classes, and it is bootstrapped by each class into the character. So what if the character is multi-classed and each class bootstraps the same feat? And what if the feat confers a bonus of some sort? A unique thing ensures that, no matter how many times it is added to the character, it behaves as if it's only added once.

A "non-unique" thing can be added multiple times. For example, gear can always be added multiple times. You can add the same backpack to the character 5 times if you want, and you'll end up with 5 backpacks.

An "add-once" thing is a special case behavior. It's a thing that can be added to a character via various methods, but it can only ever be added a single time by the user. I can't think of a specific example at the moment. This was added for a special situation that rarely arises (I think it's used in the d20 files).
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote