Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 23rd, 2017, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Starting cash is more robustly implemented and can now be changed on the Classes tab, after you pick a class for the character. Level 1 PCs can have Hero Lab roll their starting cash (using the correct value for their class), while NPCs and higher-level PCs have their starting cash automatically set to the appropriate values. (You can still set your own custom starting cash values if you want, and we're not changing any starting cash values on existing heroes.)
What will HL do for classes without starting cash values entered in the .user files? Will it default back to the 150gp or zero?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Aldaron

Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
I'd like Silverdisks to be added as a currency.

I'd like the ability to buy specified quantities of custom Ammunition instead of having to always buy 50 and then sell back what you don't want.

I second the option to remove consumables (items or charges) when used instead of just ticking off a counter (the option could then show how many are left, like Hit Points and Hero Points do) and the search by price.

It would be amazing to be able to export items to a file that could be imported into a character in another portfolio, but I don't think that's a practical request.
You can get around that at the moment by using ShadowChemosh's adjustments. With it, you can "buy" gold coins, silver coins, etc, and they become part of your gear. You can then create containers and locations to hide the coins - of course, it no longer reflects in your actual monetary "bank" amount.

But it's still pretty handy.
Aldaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Aldaron

Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I have had players divide their money in specific ways and locations .. such as hiding an emergency stash of money sewn into the linings of a cloak, or stored in a bank (the Church of Abadar offers banking services in Pathfinder's world of Golarion).

Additionally, the current abstract money makes it hard to transfer funds between PCs the way items can be.

For these reasons, I (and others) added specific coin types as gear items (since incorporated into the Community Pack). I use these for all of my money handling at this time, converting to the abstract when I need to purchase goods for the character(s) in question, and back to coin gear items when done.

The separate coin gear items also lends itself well to having a pet or pack animal carry cash loot before it is divided.
Sorry...initially replied to the wrong post.

I'd like the ability to buy specified quantities of custom Ammunition instead of having to always buy 50 and then sell back what you don't want.

I second the option to remove consumables (items or charges) when used instead of just ticking off a counter (the option could then show how many are left, like Hit Points and Hero Points do) and the search by price.

It would be amazing to be able to export items to a file that could be imported into a character in another portfolio, but I don't think that's a practical request.[/QUOTE]

You can get around that at the moment by using ShadowChemosh's adjustments. With it, you can "buy" gold coins, silver coins, etc, and they become part of your gear. You can then create containers and locations to hide the coins - of course, it no longer reflects in your actual monetary "bank" amount.

But it's still pretty handy.
Aldaron is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Colen, will this functionality become available for the d20 system as well? I've been wanting something like this for a while, and I've had to put a workaround in place currently, but it's a PITA. I would love this ability.

Does this mean you can apply this new coinage to the pricing of gear as well?
The d20 system is under ShadowChemosh's purview, though I would be happy to provide any guidance he needed to set up a similar thing.

I've also been waiting for this sort of thing for a while, so I was glad to have the opportunity to call finally call "gp", "stl" in my own system.

The system relies on the user defining which coin is the "base coin", with a value of 1. Everything like price or total wealth is expressed in term of that coin, and purchases using custom coins are converted as necessary.

For example, you could rename the 3rd coin from gp to stl. By default this coin has a value of 1, and is the base coin. Say you then change the next lowest coin (coin 2) to be worth .5 of the base coin and rename it to "ip". Your purse has 4 ip and 3 stl.

If you buy something with a cost of .5, it will subtract 1 ip. If you bought something with a cost of 4, it will spend all your ip and 2 stl. And so forth.

Went through a lot of trouble making it so that the values are adjustable. Oh, one thing people will need to keep in mind is that if you adjust the values of coins for an existing character, that would affect their current wealth.

Hope that clarifies things.
Aaron is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
What will HL do for classes without starting cash values entered in the .user files? Will it default back to the 150gp or zero?
It will default to 0 for new characters, pre-existing ones should retain any starting cash they entered before. Those higher than 1st level (or PFS 1st level characters) will have a suggested flat value based on the wealth table. Starting cash is also frozen once you add cash or XP through a journal.
Aaron is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
For example, you could rename the 3rd coin from gp to stl. By default this coin has a value of 1, and is the base coin. Say you then change the next lowest coin (coin 2) to be worth .5 of the base coin and rename it to "ip". Your purse has 4 ip and 3 stl.

If you buy something with a cost of .5, it will subtract 1 ip. If you bought something with a cost of 4, it will spend all your ip and 2 stl. And so forth.
This is so cool, and had to be such a pain to implement, that I'm going to feel obligated to make up new names for the currency in my next campaign just so I don't feel guilty for wasting your efforts.
TheIronGolem is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:35 PM
I'll be changing my to cows (pp), pigs (gp), goats (sp), and chickens (cp).
Krothos is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:46 PM
I hear in Nevada they use to use chickens to pay for their health care.
Aaron is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
It would be amazing to be able to export items to a file that could be imported into a character in another portfolio, but I don't think that's a practical request.
When I talk about transferring money from character to character, that is something you can do NOW with gear.. if they're in the same portfolio. As GM, I keep current copies of the PCs in a single portfolio that I use while running the game. Present functionality allows you to "Give to character" for gear items, and transfer it to the other character. I'm not thinking about exporting gear and importing elsewhere.

However... if you don't mind moving things around... assuming you have two characters, each in a separate portfolio..
  1. Open the character you want to give FROM.
  2. Import the character you want to give things TO from its portfolio.
  3. Move gear as desired.
  4. Export the second character back to the original file (assuming it was the only one there), over-writing the file
  5. Delete the second character copy from the working portfolio
  6. Save changes
Silveras is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 23rd, 2017, 02:21 PM
The issue is when the characters are on different machines (i.e., me and my players). I can work around it with a blank holding character, but it would be nice to be able to save the steps in the workaround.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #20 Reply With Quote