Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 16th, 2019, 06:46 PM
I loved this software at its conception, I thought it was great. But at this point I'm having a hard time selling my players on it and I'm not sure what to tell them... specifically what it does that makes it better than Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds?

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old February 16th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Apples & Oranges.

Realm Works isn't a VTT, it's a campaign manager.

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old February 16th, 2019, 10:22 PM
Realm Works is not VTT. It is campaign manager and it is doing this job as perfect as possible. I use it all the time alongside Fantasy Grounds to run my games. Everything is in Realm Works (unless I have the modules in FG, then I don't do double work) and I have the two applications opened. In face to face games it is the same with the main difference that we have real table.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 16th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Why are you trying to sell your players on it?

Just give them the information they need during the game and use Realm Works to manage everything YOU need to stay on top of the information.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old February 17th, 2019, 12:42 AM
What he (Daplunk) said...

I use RW to run 3 different campaigns and have players in each ask me how I am doing it. Once I show them the software, they 'sell' themselves on it. The depth RW allows you as the GM to take your campaign is what will sell it...
Grey Mage is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 17th, 2019, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Mage View Post
What he (Daplunk) said...

I use RW to run 3 different campaigns and have players in each ask me how I am doing it. Once I show them the software, they 'sell' themselves on it. The depth RW allows you as the GM to take your campaign is what will sell it...
Not sure it sells the players on it but RW is by far the best tool in existence for organizing and connecting the elements of a campaign world. Automatic linking by itself is worth every penny I paid for the program. The rest of what it does is just gravy built on top of that.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old February 17th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I should have said it sells them (the players) on picking up a copy of the Player version. I keep pretty much everything in RW (now) so they have access to all the spells/feats/items/etc. Which is more than a little convenient!
Grey Mage is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 17th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Mage View Post
I should have said it sells them (the players) on picking up a copy of the Player version. I keep pretty much everything in RW (now) so they have access to all the spells/feats/items/etc. Which is more than a little convenient!
The player version has always been a hard sell tbh. I bought the package deal a long time ago, 5 licenses for $30, and to the best of my knowledge at most 1 of my players ever even installed it.

Players don't tend to be as invested in a homebrew campaign which is of interest to their small circle of friends as people get in something like Faerun which they can discuss with thousands of other people.

It might be of more interest when/if things like player journals get implemented which let the players "interact" with the campaign world rather than just passively reading about it.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 17th, 2019, 02:14 PM
My experience is similar to kbs666's.,, even providing the licenses to my players did not motivate them to install RW.

In part it may come down to how involved between sessions the players are. If they're like mine (don't take notes, don't really communicate about the game between sessions, expect the GM to be their in-game memory), then they likely won't be willing to install RW. On the other hand, those who act differently (when RW wasn't around) may take to it better... they may find it a replacement for notes they can consult between sessions (which is what the Player version is really for).
Silveras is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 17th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Same here, none of my players is interested in the player version, as they tend not to invest too much time between sessions. But they do use the PFSRD on their phones during play to look up things and already said they would use the web view for players to look up NPC Names and the like.
Merion is offline   #10 Reply With Quote