Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
MNBlockHead

Old April 16th, 2019, 09:16 AM
With the Content Market releases and the recent added features, it is nice to feel the tool development progressing again. It is also nice to see the tenor of this forum also slowly change. Folks are actually discussing using the tool again.

This all is happening at about the same time that I've been getting into running a new campaign. My last campaign didn't use RealmWorks and now that I'm back in the tool I'm relearning old best practices as well as some new tricks.

For me, the biggest positive change after the Content Market is the overlay map functionality. It works seamlessly at the table and has greatly improved my experience running games from RW.

I am also relearning the joys of using RW and HeroLab together. I've gotten quite adept at creating custom monsters in HL but don't have to do that as often as before because of the hard work by the HL community and Kobold Press Tome of Beasts being available for both RW and HL.

Continued frustrations/wishes, include:

(1) Opening new tabs and switching among them is still sluggish, even with 64-bit. I use RW on a laptop with 16 GB installed RAM, an Intel i7 dual-core 2.21 GHz processor, and an SSD drive. I'm not sure if that is now considered underpowered for RW.

(2) Link management is onerous. This is something that has gotten much worse with the Content Market as you have no control over imported content names unless you edit all imported topics/articles one by one. RW really needs a way to view and manage ALL names for ALL topics/articles for a realm in one place.

(3) Web view. They teased us a couple years ago with a POC version that they shared in screenshots. I'll never get my players to use it if they have to buy windows software and install on a powerful enough laptop to comfortably run RW. Any I really don't want a table full of laptops at my game. If they can't view and search my realm content on a tablet or smart phone, they are not going to use it. I've been running RW for years and none of my players use past one or two of them checking it out once or twice. But all of them use D&D Beyond.

(4) Pins. I love running my games from the maps in RW. But the pins need some love. They get in the way and toggling them on/off is a bit clunky in play. Would be nice to have fade effects, the ability to resize them, and it would be nice to be able to give them different colors.

Even better, the ability to associate pins with map areas would be nice. If you could do that, you would not need pins other than to pin point a very specific area that doesn't have a graphic or text element on the map itself.

(5) Map Reveal - RW has one of the easiest to use fog-of-war reveal capabilities of any tool I've used. But it still takes time to carefully reveal map areas during a game. I would love to be able to preset reveal areas, perhaps associated with pins so I could just toggle reveal on for a room rather than having to select and reveal during the game.

Anyway that's where I'm at now after a few months of very heavy RW use.

How about you?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote