Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

asvaldson

Old March 5th, 2020, 05:40 PM
Hello, I was trying to run Hero Labs through a remote desktop session. I wanted to use my chromebook instead of my laptop (I have a license on both laptop and my windows 10 pro desktop) It messed up the key files and I had to reactivate on my desktop. Is that supposed to happen, and if so, is there something similar I can use that won't cause that.
asvaldson is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 5th, 2020, 05:53 PM
The first thing would be to double-check that you activated the desktop and laptop with different license numbers, because that can cause the need to reactivate and it's an easy accident to happen.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old March 5th, 2020, 10:55 PM
Chromebook, laptop AND desktop? That's three different computers, and you only have two licenses by the sound of it. You can transfer a license from one system to another.
Take a look at this thread
As charlieluce says, make sure you check which license you use for each system.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 6th, 2020, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
Chromebook, laptop AND desktop? That's three different computers, and you only have two licenses by the sound of it. You can transfer a license from one system to another.
Take a look at this thread
As charlieluce says, make sure you check which license you use for each system.
The Chromebook is merely being used as a remote desktop client, so displaying what is happening on the desktop machine. Thus HLC is still running on the desktop machine.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old March 8th, 2020, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The Chromebook is merely being used as a remote desktop client, so displaying what is happening on the desktop machine. Thus HLC is still running on the desktop machine.
Exactly. I have it on the laptop and desktop, two different licenses. However I wanted to access my desktop from a chromebook through remote desktop client. No problem. But when I tried to open hero labs, it acted like I opened it on a new machine. not the existing deskto...... wait. I upgraded from Windows 10 Home TO professional right before that.... That's gonna screw with the license. I'm going to go check on that.
asvaldson is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
asvaldson

Old March 8th, 2020, 04:20 PM
I was right. Sorry for bothering everyone. I tried it again since I've reactivated my Desktop license for Windows 10 Pro, and I can now open HL from within the remote desktop.
asvaldson is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old March 8th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, and its great that you found the problem!

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old March 9th, 2020, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asvaldson View Post
I was right. Sorry for bothering everyone. I tried it again since I've reactivated my Desktop license for Windows 10 Pro, and I can now open HL from within the remote desktop.
Just a heads-up, some of the Windows 10 updates (not patches but the once or twice a year "feature" updates) may cause HLC to think it's on a new computer and has to be reactivated. It's happened to me twice.
Phrll is offline   #8 Reply With Quote