Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 13th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Is there a way to get a random value at character creation that is only generated at creation? Yes, I know that rolling for stats at the beginning can be silly because players will just keep rerolling until they get what they want, but it's also part of the experience in some systems.

I suppose that I could just use a single Roll button, and require the first roll for a valid character.
Duggan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 13th, 2018, 03:48 PM
A roll button is the way I would implement this.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 22nd, 2018, 06:57 PM
So, I successfully have implemented a roll button based on TCArkKnight's work, but I have just one more thing I need to do, having it get called at the outset so that the player has stats even if the player never mashes the button. I tried putting the call in the Creation script, but it doesn't work, presumably since the Attributes haven't been bootstrapped at that point.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:11 PM
I’m not sure if you can trigger a roll dynamically unfortunately.

I would probably go with setting the default values to the lowest possible value, and also set up a validation rule that has to have at least one roll made. Seems like that would be the simplest.

Working on -
  • (SWADE) WIP Savage Rifts
  • Savage Rifts (Deluxe): Update link in This post
  • Star Trek Adventures: Update link in This post
TCArknight is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't enforce the roll, personally. Some users will make those rolls using their physical dice, and enter the results, so I wouldn't force the step of rolling on them.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 23rd, 2018, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Is there a way to get a random value at character creation that is only generated at creation? Yes, I know that rolling for stats at the beginning can be silly because players will just keep rerolling until they get what they want, but it's also part of the experience in some systems.

I suppose that I could just use a single Roll button, and require the first roll for a valid character.
At some later point in the timeline, could you check for a "0" user value, and then replace it with a random number? Then it would only be triggered once?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote