Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

UttiniDaKilrJawa

Old July 11th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Quick question: What are the limitations of the demo Hero Lab Online mode compared to the paid Hero Lab Online?

Thanks in advance.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 11th, 2019, 07:33 AM
The demo allows you to build and play your characters, but not to level them up.

Last edited by Lj Stephens; July 12th, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Lj Stephens is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
UttiniDaKilrJawa

Old July 14th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Ok, that seems reasonable. Here's another ( maybe a few more) question(s):

First off: Is there a limit to the number of Characters that can be created in the Free Mode?

Now, let's say I sign up and go for the Starfinder Ruleset for 34.99. Then after my 180 days of server access I decide to not maintain a subscription for server access. What happens then?

Do I still have access to the Starfinder Ruleset and any Starfinder add-ons I may purchase?

Are my characters that I have created maintained on the server or would they be deleted?
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 14th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Ignore me, I made reference to a FAQ - but one doesn't exist.

I'm sure all the information appears somewhere, but apparently there isn't a single useful location (at least that is linked from the product's home page at https://www.wolflair.com/hlo/ )

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; July 14th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old July 15th, 2019, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Ignore me, I made reference to a FAQ - but one doesn't exist.
Yes, the FAQ link that did exist now gets an error.

If you don't continue your subscription, you can't access your packages, except perhaps in Offline mode, but LW will keep your characters. They have stated they will not delete what you have already created.
I don't know about a char limit in the demo.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 15th, 2019, 09:13 AM
And my understanding is that the subscription is for server access only. If you let your subscription lapse you will still have the game systems/data packages you've purchased - you just won't be able to get to them or use them until you renew your server subscription.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 15th, 2019, 10:07 AM
It would be nice if you still had access to, say, PDF and XML exports of the character, which you wouldn't figure would take up much space at all. Of course, you might have those. I'm not actually an HLO user yet due to them not supporting any systems I use yet.
Duggan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 23rd, 2019, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
And my understanding is that the subscription is for server access only. If you let your subscription lapse you will still have the game systems/data packages you've purchased - you just won't be able to get to them or use them until you renew your server subscription.
This is why I won't drink the kool-aid. I have to BUY the package then PAY A MONTHLY FEE and if I don't keep paying then I lose access to the package that I bought and the characters I created. Even Microsoft Office and Adobe don't make you buy the software AND pay a monthly fee. Thanks but no thanks. Love you LWD but that is a con in my opinion. I hated when Adobe and Microsoft started the monthly fee to use their software and your deal is even worse IMO.
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 23rd, 2019, 06:22 AM
Hi folks! We are sorry for the confusion. Please allow me to help clear a couple of things up.
1. If you run out of time and do not renew, you’ll still be able to access and view all of the Characters you’ve made. You will simply be unable to edit or save changes to them. As for the Data Packages you purchase, they will be unlocked forever, you don’t need to pay to add them to your Account again, simply renewing your Server Access time will allow you to resume the full suite of functions available with Server Access. We understand this isn't everyone's cup of tea, that's why HL Classic will remain an option for the foreseeable future
2. The HLO FAQ page was down briefly for maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.There is a new link: http://www.wolflair.com/hero-lab-online-faq/
Lj Stephens is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
CorzatTheGray

Old July 25th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj Stephens View Post
We understand this isn't everyone's cup of tea, that's why HL Classic will remain an option for the foreseeable future
Unless you are planning on PF 2.0 or Starfinder, the only 2 systems offered by HLO... aaaaaand NOT offered in HLC... so this seems to be an Apples to Oranges argument.

Currently there is NO way that anyone can compare the two programs to each other in this way because they do not share game systems.

If HLC had access to Starfinder or PF2 then one could make the argument that it "remains an option" for those who do not wish to pay the server fees.

Or if HLO offered the myriad other systems that HLC offers then one could hold to the comparison.

But until the consumer is given the choice of what platform to use for any given system then it is not a 1:1 comparison.

Right now the choice of the consumer is not:
A.) [Game System of Choice] locked into 1 licensed computer (or up to 5 machines depending on the number of licenses purchased) with perpetual access to the purchased materials only on that licensed computer

OR

B.) [Game System of Choice] on anything with a browser with access to purchased materials so long as the server fee is payed

So I disagree with this statement that "HL Classic will remain an option for the foreseeable future." when making comparisons between the two platforms at this point in HLO's development.

I would LOVE to have to make that hard decision of which platform to use... but until [Game System of Choice] is offered on HLO, I am still using HLC without complaint... outside of not having had a content update for Pathfinder since April...

Currently Playing: Pathfinder - Skull & Shackles AP
Current Character: Legendary Gunslinger 11
Currently DMing: D&D 5E - AAW Games A-Series
CorzatTheGray is offline   #10 Reply With Quote