Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Krothos

Old March 18th, 2019, 10:23 AM
I have a friend (player in my campaign) who is interested in purchasing HLC. I understand the initial purchase for a license is $34.99. Now I'm confused to what book content the initial purchase provides. Is the Rulebook Entry Path or the Class Pack Entry Path an additional purchase?

Alternatively, will my licensing allow me to loan a couple of my secondary licenses to my players during my campaign?
Krothos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old March 18th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krothos View Post
I have a friend (player in my campaign) who is interested in purchasing HLC. I understand the initial purchase for a license is $34.99. Now I'm confused to what book content the initial purchase provides. Is the Rulebook Entry Path or the Class Pack Entry Path an additional purchase?

Alternatively, will my licensing allow me to loan a couple of my secondary licenses to my players during my campaign?
So the initial purchase lets you go one of two paths. Either Rulebook or class.
With the rulebook, you get the Core rulebook and everything associated with that. With the Class pack you get a specific class and all of the related archetypes and class specific feats.

If you play one class of character the class path is probably going to be your best bet. However most players jump around, I find getting the books works better as I can pick up specific books when I need something from it, and I am not being tied to specific classes.

HLC allows you to have up to 5 licenses for the same account. The first two are included in your initial purchase and additional secondary licenses are $10.
Minous is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Thank you, Minous.

Am I allowed to loan out (not give) my secondary licenses to a couple of my players while I'm running my campaign? I would still be in control of the licenses, and transfer them as needed for a new campaign.
Krothos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krothos View Post
Thank you, Minous.

Am I allowed to loan out (not give) my secondary licenses to a couple of my players while I'm running my campaign? I would still be in control of the licenses, and transfer them as needed for a new campaign.
I dont work for LW, but that is a fairly common practice.
Minous is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
I dont work for LW, but that is a fairly common practice.
It is not allowed by the terms of the license. The additional licenses are for other devices you own or family members living with you.
Toblakai is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Ok, thank you both!
Krothos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Our license terms state that Secondary Licenses are meant to be used by members within a single household. Not to be loaned out to players who do not live in the same household. Since Lone Wolf Development is providing the data files under license from the RPG publishers, we are obligated to properly secure those data files and ensure that the data is not shared inappropriately.

To your question, you can read about the difference between Rulebook Entry and Class Pack Entry here and share this with your player:

https://www.wolflair.com/hero-lab-pr...ackages/#start

But Minous' read is astute as written.
Rone is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
It is not allowed by the terms of the license. The additional licenses are for other devices you own or family members living with you.
And this is why it's fortunate that I was never a quick draw gunslinger in the old west.
Rone is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old March 18th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Thanks Rone! I'll pass this information to my player.
Krothos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Stormbolt

Old March 29th, 2020, 05:56 AM
I just got talked into using hero lab classic pathfinder 1E by some of my other players as they used it for years. The class packs seemed great and more economical for us because we don’t change characters often.

I went on the site and I did not see any mention of different “entry methods”. Just one purchase option for hero lab classic that included the core book. I went ahead and made the $34.99 initial license purchase thinking I could then choose class pack expansions after purchase.

Now it seems I am locked into the “book entry path” and have no access to the class packs that all of my friends still have access to.

Did the publisher just do away with the class pack entry option within the last year? Every piece of info I can find related to this is a dead end. Even in this post every link that has been shared above related to the different entry paths and explaining the entry system are all dead now.

I feel duped out of my $34.99 because it was very unclear at the point of purchase that class packs were no longer available, in fact it never mentioned anything about two different entry paths. I wrongfully assumed that once purchased I could then buy whatever expansion packs I wanted.

When I’m logged into my expansion options page it still say “book entry path” at the top even though I was never given an option for any other method. i cannot access the class packs at all and I can’t even see them, even though I know they still exist because they are there when my friends log in with their licenses.

I’m guessing Lone Wolf was losing money on the class pack method and did away with it. I found one forum post where they were offering free conversions from book to class packs but only for a limited time. There were lots of links posted explaining the system and direct links to the conversion page but all the links are dead now.

I do not want the book method, it is way too expensive. I need to spend a minimum of $113 on books to get access to only SOME of the feats and features my class. Class packs are way less, I think like $10 or $12 and u get every class feat and feature ever published for the particular class (and several others as they are sold in groups)

If anyone who is a knowledgeable user of this application could let me know what is happening I would be grateful. Don’t just log in with your license, go in like a new user and let me know if there is something I’m missing.

At this point I just want access to the class packs, so if a moderator could convert me to the class pack entry method that would be great, if not I’d like to see if I can get a refund since the instructions were not clear. You have to understand most people coming here as new users were sent here by word of mouth. If you remove a popular feature like class packs it should be front and center at the purchase window, like “the class pack entry method is no longer available on new purchases of the hero lab classic system. All purchases default to the book method now. However, class packs will remain available to those users who initially purchased that method”

That would have been very useful. As it is now it’s not clear that you will never have access to class packs ever.
Stormbolt is offline   #10 Reply With Quote