Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Tashtego

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Any plans to come out with an app for some of the i* stuff that would be able to read and manipulate Hero Lab files? I was thinking it'd be nice to use the iPad as a sort of character sheet, with control over the 'in play' functions used in HL.
Tashtego is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I suspect they would have to rebuild it from the ground up, something which a small company like this is usually not in a good position to do. ^_^ Although, if they had someone skilled in iPhone development who did it as a contract and agreed to onyl get paid on net, that might work...

I think the iPhone store would help reduce/remove the risk of copyright infringement from copied software. Restricted platform and all that.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 15th, 2010, 01:43 PM
We've been discussing this as a possible scenario, but we haven't put anything on the schedule yet. As Duggan pointed out, it would require a massive rewrite and we're a tiny company, so it's not something to be taken lightly. We'll keep folks posted on this once we do the necessary analysis.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bocephus

Old February 16th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Theoretically, this sounds like a cool idea... but unless the app had the capability to view PDF's, or the next version of iphone OS added multitasking, I wouldn't be interested at all. And for another $500 you can just get a tablet pc... and its not like one weighs more than a couple of rpg books anyway!
bocephus is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old February 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM
and for less you can get a netbook, which runs it nicely as is anyway...
krathen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
bocephus

Old February 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
There's a netbook tablet that has just been released by Lenovo. $500. So for the price of the entry level IPad, you get a tablet plus a keyboard, webcam, usb ports, and 15x the storage space, as well as a full OS and compatibility with Hero Lab. Apple smug not included.

http://newnetbookreviews.net/2010/le...-now-shipping/

I guess Bestbuy had them going for $450, but they sold out already.
bocephus is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Grantyr

Old May 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I have an iPad - won't be buying a netbook - and will pay to purchase a copy of Army Builder for my iPad as soon as you were able to have it ready.
Grantyr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TBKenie

Old May 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I read about this app for the iPad (LogMeIn) which would allow your iPad to act as a remote viewer/controller for Hero Lab, D20 Pro, and other computer apps. YMMV as I don't own a iPad, yet, so I can't try it out. I wonder how different LogMeIn compares to using VPN though LogMeIn looks easier to set up.
TBKenie is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ogexam

Old May 26th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKenie View Post
I read about this app for the iPad (LogMeIn) which would allow your iPad to act as a remote viewer/controller for Hero Lab, D20 Pro, and other computer apps. YMMV as I don't own a iPad, yet, so I can't try it out. I wonder how different LogMeIn compares to using VPN though LogMeIn looks easier to set up.
oooh kewlness... possibly. I do not own an idevice myself due to their inability to run d20Pro or herolabs.

Though this sounds kewl. Has anybody tried this?

I posted this information on the d20pro forum as well. http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.p...7&p=1413#p1413
Maybe we can get some people to try this out to see how well it really works.

www.thecheesegrinder.com
www.d20Pro.com

Last edited by ogexam; May 26th, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
ogexam is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
hey all, two things. i dont have an iPad, but will get one soon. A friend has one and did a little hacking with it. What he ended up doing is tethering the iPad to his iPhone so it uses the 3G network connection without having 3G on the iPad. he then created an app that allows for remote control and connection to his desk top. Using this, we were able to access and run Hero Lab from the desktop and display and manipulate it on the iPad. So in effect it allowed full use of Hero lab on an iPad. If I pick up an iPad before I come to Gen Con, which i probably will, I'll rig it to allow remote access and show anyone who is interested.

Also I do have a netbook, which is great, but i dont have a license yet to put HL on it. Is there a way to get a cheaper license for secondary devices? I already use my secondary license for my laptop and desktop units. But a third license would allow me to take the netbook to games and play from it. Just a thought.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #10 Reply With Quote