Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Krothos

Old September 28th, 2022, 07:11 AM
LW hasn't issued an update to HLC in over 2 years, to set everyone's expectations. The last update was 8.9e in Jan 2020.
Krothos is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
CaptCalamitous

Old October 5th, 2022, 01:09 AM
Hero Lab no longer opens since the update to Monterey 12.6.

This is a fully paid for product with hundreds if not more than a $1000 worth of content.
CaptCalamitous is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2022, 01:35 PM
Hey there all,

I just wanted to pop my head in and give something of an update on the situation. We have been in touch with Apple regarding the problem and have been advised that this kind of problem is in fact something that is impacting many other services and Apps as well and that they consider it to be a known problem. We weren't given any more information regarding the topic, provided assurances, or promises that they will have it fixed within any timeframe but, generally speaking, we anticipate that this is something they will be working to address with version/build update to the OS itself.

In short, the problem is something that is not easily overcome because the underlying bug is a particularly sticky one and it's actually baked into the OS version itself rather than our software. I know it's likely not the update any of you were hoping for but I did want to do what I can to help keep you in the loop.

Thanks!

--
Ryan Furnas
Customer/Technical Support
<support@wolflair.com>
Ryan F is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 6th, 2022, 02:34 AM
And, for what it's worth, both Wacom and Corel tend to have some more problems with Macintosh updates. At that, both are mildly notorious for just stopping supporting particular versions of their software, forcing people to buy new ones.
Duggan is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old October 6th, 2022, 08:12 AM
It looks like LW created a new update for the Mac Hero Lab Classic. I installed it this morning and the app launches successfully.
CNYGamer is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 6th, 2022, 08:16 AM
Hey there everyone,

As promised I am back again today to provide an update on the situation since I just got off the line with our team who have informed me that as of this morning there is a new Mac version of HLC (8.9i) posted to the servers that will get around the issue introduced by Apple in macOS 12.6. Many of you who contacted us directly via the support email will have already seen a message very similar to this one but given that a fair number of users do not actually either know or perhaps care to deal with the hassle of writing support email messages I wanted to get this information posted here as well for some increased visibility.

This updated version is accessible via the link I'm including below to our Product Download page for this version and it is also available through the HLC Updates download menu where all the other various Updates and game data files are located within the software.
(https://www.lonewolfdevel.com/Submit...p&platform=mac)

Given that this is a new version/build of the software there is a possibility that upon attempting to launch the software after the update you may encounter an OS-generated "malicious software warning" that prevents automatic launch. If this happens you can bypass the problem by doing the following:
Launch Hero Lab > View Error as noted > Click "Show in Finder" > Locate Hero Lab within the Finder Window > Right-Click > Open > View a similar Error window

Once you do this you should see the option to open the software and bypass/ignore the warning, and in so doing it will have your system recall the decision by whitelisting it locally so that the error should no longer appear on any attempt to launch Hero Lab Classic. We do already have plans in motion to get that additional bit of hassle wrapped up and negate any need to use the Finder App workaround fix for the local whitelist, but we were much more focused at this phase on ensuring that we corrected the much bigger problem of the software failing/crashing outright.

Thanks a million for letting us know about the issue promptly, and a special shout-out to all of you wonderful people that sent messages to the support desk and provided detailed crash report logs.

--
Ryan Furnas
Customer/Technical Support
<support@wolflair.com>
Ryan F is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old October 6th, 2022, 08:48 AM
That's great news, Ryan. Thank you for the update.
Azhrei is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Lialos

Old October 6th, 2022, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
That's great news, Ryan. Thank you for the update.
Indeed, excellent news!
Lialos is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old October 11th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Thank you Ryan
Tekwych is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
jrcchicago

Old October 21st, 2022, 03:08 PM
I installed HLC for Mac 8.9j this evening and I got it running for Pathfinder RPG. I had to re-download the game system - not a big deal, but it seemed odd since there wasn't a concurrent update for PFRPG. Once I got Hero Lab started, though, it became apparent that the reason I had to redownload the game system is that the new version isn't pulling in the data that the older version used. The game system is loaded and my license is activated, but the Community Pack and World Is Square packages, for example, aren't available. I can try reinstalling them, but before I do, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen and solved this problem with a hopefully simple setting change that I'm just too oblivious to see on my own?
jrcchicago is offline   #40 Reply With Quote