Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Enarion

Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:20 AM
Yes I know, it sounds like a Sherlock Holmes problem, and perhaps we do need him to solve it.

My friend Daniel is already working on this, but I thought that perhaps he is to locked on his own solution that he can't se passed it. But he is not. I made my own Duskblade, not even looking at his files and the problem is still there: you can't add spells to the character.

I made a level 8 sorcerer and looked on the sorcerer tab. Everything is in order. Spells known is correct down to the last level and I may add the correct number of spells without an error message. The tooltip for spells give the correct number of spells per day. Everything is fine.

But when I create a Duskblade from scratch OR using the Sorcerer as a template, all this is nil and void. No spells can be added without the error that I have to many spells. No spells per day in the tooltip and so on and so forth. I have done everything right according to tutorials and postings on this forum and other documentation provided by LWD, but this is a problem I can't overcome.

I am beginning to think that there is something in the programming itself that prohibits spellcasters from having spells per day unless they are the basci classes provided from the beginning. A Duskblade uses the same mechanics as the sorcerer and bard, so this is what needs to be focused on. If I change to unlimited spellcasting it works fine to add as many spells as I want, but that is not how it should work.

What say you? Why is it impossible to make it work?

JBL
Enarion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:05 AM
Note that if you make the 'Battlemage' tutorial class, there is still a 'no spells' notice, to the left on the class-tab. You can, however, add spells in the common manner.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
DannyBoy2k wrote:
>
>
> Note that if you make the 'Battlemage' tutorial class, there is still a
> 'no spells' notice, to the left on the class-tab. You can, however, add
> spells in the common manner.

The confusing thing to me is that the Battlemage, and DannyBoy2k's
Duskblade class that he sent me, work perfectly on every computer I
tried them on. There's also virtually no difference between the way
custom classes use spells and the way regular classes use spells, so (in
theory) the custom classes should work if the base classes like the
Sorcerer work.

Right now I'm working on getting DannyBoy2k some customized data files
so that we can hopefully get enough debug information to finally
diagnose the problem.

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Enarion

Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
OK, sounds fine to me. I know he will keep me updated on this, so I'll let the two of you compare notes until a workable solution is found. This makes us both rather, hmm, mad I suppose

Cheers
Jan
Enarion is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Try stark raving mental, and you'd be closer to the truth.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MalVolentes

Old April 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
This actually sounds like pretty much the same problem I'm having with entering the Savant class - just can't get it to acknowledge spells known. The Savant works the same way as a wizard with regards to spellcasting so it's not just sorcerer/bard style characters that are having this problem.

I guess you guys should ignore my thread if you're already working on this.
MalVolentes is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old April 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I've been thinking about mentioning it, but kept forgetting. Actually, me and Colen has been mailing back and forth trying to find the error, which, I suspect, is the same as yours. And, it seemed that Colen found the likely source. I hope.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
At 10:59 AM 4/4/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I've been thinking about mentioning it, but kept forgetting. Actually, me and Colen has been mailing back and forth trying to find the error, which, I suspect, is the same as yours. And, it seemed that Colen found the likely source. I hope. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Keep your fingers crossed! Colen found something odd in the way packages were being handled in the engine, so he foisted it off onto me (the engine is my problem, er, baby) and I think I figured out what was going wrong. So I've checked in what I believe to be a fix and Colen is going to double-check it tomorrow. We still need to figure out the issue with the installer, so, assuming my fix was the complete solution to the spellcaster problem, our hope is that we'll figure out the installer problem on Thursday. That will enable us to put out a fix release on Friday. Keep those fingers crossed....

-Rob
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Ooooh, nice!

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Enarion

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thank you for working so hard to find a solution. I am impressed by your efforts to help us. It feels like we are a part of the team

/Jan
Enarion is offline   #10 Reply With Quote