Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Heh. LoneWolf said almost exactly the same thing. Direct from the RealmWorks Kickstarter:
Sure, and it was a good idea.

I've no problem with what LW did then, I've problems with the choices they mede later on...
Cammagno is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 30th, 2019, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post
From the kickstarter.
- €5000 will allow them to finalize YARPS 1.0 within autumn 2020, with start of beta phase in september 2020 and start of alpha phase in may 2020
- €30000 will allow them to finalize YARPS 1.0 within summer 2020, with start of beta phase in july 2020 and start of alpha phase in april 2020
- €60000 will allow them to finalize YARPS 1.0 within spring 2020, with start of beta phase in may 2020 and start of alpha phase in febbruary 2020

This mean that each 30k euros will speed up the release of a couple of months, that is realistic, according to the cost of dev work in Europe (I don't know where do you live, but the costs you spoke about are not realistic for example in Italy, here they are much less expensive).

Sorry, but I don't believe you on this.

I backed 200€, and I'm happy to. I'm already using the prototype in this stage, and is already better, according to me, than all the other products out there, excluded RW.

RW is good, but it has too much things that are frustrating - some of them very easy to fix/improve - and that I can't bare anymore now that I know that it will never improve.
I'll keep using it for all my old realms for at least one year, mabe two or more, but I'll never create a new realm, i prefer to use a new platform that is actively developed by a very active group.
You say they are volunteer, I don't care if they are, for now their attitude is much more professional than LW, they are listening the community, they are quickly answering, they are changing things to follow community suggestions, they are looking for cohoperations and finding them.
Just an example: they already released a prototype importer from CSV, a thing that the professional LW never did in all these years.
$5k works out like this 50% is employee cost not covered by salary office space, desk, computer, vacation time & other benefits, office supplies. The remaining half is the actual salary. For a mid tier developer here in Chicago $100 to $125/hr. is not out of line. In San Jose you'd get laughed at offering that to anyone.

You can not believe it all you want but I do it for sales pitches all the time. It's a handful of screens on top of a db.

$5k says they have to be volunteers. The Kickstarter page says they are volunteers. The cost estimates you put forward are clearly for hiring a professional, a low tier pro or one in a very low CoL area.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 30th, 2019, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
$5k works out like this 50% is employee cost not covered by salary office space, desk, computer, vacation time & other benefits, office supplies. The remaining half is the actual salary. For a mid tier developer here in Chicago $100 to $125/hr. is not out of line. In San Jose you'd get laughed at offering that to anyone.
The real rate for a big company in the UK is around £70/hour as an actual rate billed to a project, not salary to the developer. In this case, $5k would account for 55 hours (assuming £70 = $90).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 30th, 2019, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The real rate for a big company in the UK is around £70/hour as an actual rate billed to a project, not salary to the developer. In this case, $5k would account for 55 hours (assuming £70 = $90).
? I lived in London for a few years back in the late 90's. Adjusting for inflation the 25k GBP I made then has to be much closer to 50k than 35. Even then I had a hard time finding an apartment and wound up living out in Slough and taking the train into the city every day, and that is why I came back to Chicago I'm not built for suburbia (even English suburbia).

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 30th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post
Sure, and it was a good idea.

I've no problem with what LW did then, I've problems with the choices they mede later on...
It was a good idea, but that's not why I posted it. Maybe the YARPS folks will do better - I hope so, and sincerely wish them well. But I posted that as an illustration of why I won't be shelling out another $150 on another Kickstarter with the premise of "it's already mostly finished..." Cool me once...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #25 Reply With Quote