Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

mirtos

Old March 20th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I'm a CC3 guy all the way. it does have a learning curve, and once you get past that it is amazing.
mirtos is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 20th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the inputs - seems we have a lot of CC3 fans. May have to stump up the cash (cant spend it on RW Content yet so might as well!)
stuartwaring is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old March 20th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I use CC3 (now CC3+) and I love it. I can make a 500 mile x 500 mile map in about 10 minutes that looks good (30 minutes makes it look excellent).

Watch the videos by Joe Sweeney (pirate island) and you pretty much have the basics enough to make great maps.

A suggestion if you decide to get into Campaign Cartographer. Buy just CC3 (or CC3+ if you can). Start using it then buy the add-ons. If it saves you money by buying the add-ons with CC3, then don't install them right away. Play with the base line program to start. Get use to the program before you buy all the add-ons other wise you will be overwhelmed by the sheer "I can do everything but don't know how to do anything".
Mmurphy is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 20th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the tips - I was about to ask about all the cartographer symbols, symbol sets etc!
stuartwaring is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 20th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwaring View Post
Thanks for all the inputs - seems we have a lot of CC3 fans. May have to stump up the cash (cant spend it on RW Content yet so might as well!)
It's not like there's a lot of choices for specialized software for this purpose. :)

Parody is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Barwickian

Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:40 PM
Dunjinni seems very close to being abandoned. The owner hasn't been seen online in at least two years, and the software hasn't been updated.

Fractal Mapper is probably the cheapest option. Although many people swear by its simplicity, I've never managed to work it out. I do like its random world creator, though.

I've used CC for years. It's the more expensive option (you'll probably want CC3, Dungeon Designer 3 and City Designer 3, with other add-ons depending on particular requirements). But it's precise, flexible and powerful. You get what you pay for.
Barwickian is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:58 PM
For me, it depends on what type of map.. and how much detail / often I anticipate its use..

CC3- if I intend to repurpose dungeon and city type maps
Dungeon Crafter III for a quick dungeon map with just a room or two. This is very customizable and low learning curve, but has its limitations.

IF I have the time.. (hahah) I use a combo of Worldmachine and Carrara with a sprinkling of Bryce and Photoshop. This combo produces superior 3d / iso type maps, but I only do that for maps I intend to use over and over.

CC3 I won't go into since most are familiar with its capabilities.
Examples:

Dungeon Crafter - Example

World Machine Top View of a Canyon

Iso View in World Machine

3D View with Carrara

Joe over at Inkwell Ideas has Cityographer & Dungeonographer which are both fairly good with low learning curve
see here>http://cityographer.com/

Just my 2cp
DLG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top View in World Builder.JPG (12.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 3d in Carrara of Canyon.JPG (107.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Iso WorldMachine.jpg (22.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Dungeon Crafter Example.JPG (76.7 KB, 101 views)
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the advice - I have invested in CC3+

I am feeling that learning curve right now. I have done some real basic stuff almost instantly, but trying to do anything even remotely funky leads me pretty quickly into a hole.

As an aside: Is it odd that in one post on this forum I have spoken about how I would like to invest less time in using RW by buying content, and yet in another, I am ploughing ahead in learning yet more time consuming software. Anybody else find themselves in the same position???
stuartwaring is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old March 25th, 2015, 05:21 AM
Since you've taken the big plunge and snagged CC3+, I'd first like to welcome you to the ranks of insane GMs who buy software just for gaming, but I'd also like to strongly recommend the Tome of Ultimate Mapping for use with CC. It's (surprise!) a bit of money, but is a complete set of documentation, a comprehensive guide, and has some truly fantastic handy-dandy tips and tricks that the CC3 manual doesn't cover.

Next: work through the tutorial in CC. This is not a piece of pick-up-and-play software. You're already aware of the learning curve (and I'm glad it hasn't put you off), but the tutorial walks you through things brilliantly. I'd recommend doing all of the tutorial before even trying your own map. It teaches you good habits you won't learn if you just jump in.

Good luck!

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:59 PM
@ Chelmak
Does buying RW not get me into the Insane GM club?

Thanks for the tip on the Tome, I was strongly considering it, but i think i will get it printed, as i find it hard to read on screen.

Have already tried the whole pick up and play thing with a small amount of success but as mentioned found myself in a world of hurt. Am indeed going back to tutorials now!
stuartwaring is offline   #20 Reply With Quote