Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ruhar

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
If you think the whining about not having access to the player version is bad.... I can't even imagine how many people would ignore the bold HUGE flashing notice while purchasing, while installing and while loading stating:

WARNING THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT AND IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE FINAL PRODUCT

and who would immediately come to these forums demanding in no uncertain terms that they are entitled to a full refund for their entire gaming collection because LW should never have knowingly released buggy software and no, they didn't see the warning....

Seriously, why do you hate Liz so much?
Well said. LOL
ruhar is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Well said. LOL
Yes totally agree!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 19th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Quote:
If you think the whining about not having access to the player version is bad.... I can't even imagine how many people would ignore the bold HUGE flashing notice while purchasing, while installing and while loading stating:

and who would immediately come to these forums demanding in no uncertain terms that they are entitled to a full refund for their entire gaming collection because LW should never have knowingly released buggy software and no, they didn't see the warning....
HERE HERE!
Quote:

and as the ole sage says...
"Don't shoot the messenger".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9
I am curious if there is a good business reason to not release the beta in mass? This could give people the option to try it, being fully aware it is a beta version and give you guys a larger pool of people for feedback for possible bugs.
While this may seem like a good idea on the surface....
again as the ole sage says...
"too many chefs,,, spoil the soup".

When released, they will get that "feedback on changes, improvements, etc" whether they want it or not... and they will try to appease the mass of them... AND as AEIOU points out some of those optional people would conveniently forget the definition of BETA.

“I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.”
― Margaret Thatcher

And what could be Rob's motivation......

“Ten years from now, no one is going to care how quickly the books came out. The only thing that will matter, the only thing anyone will remember, is how good they were. That's my main concern, and always will be.”
― George R.R. Martin
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old September 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Quote:

I guess I am rather naive. I tend to have a higher hope for my fellow mankind. I will admit I am surprised at the level of entitlement some people believe they have. All in all though I prefer to believe most people are kind and reasonable.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 19th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
I guess I am rather naive. I tend to have a higher hope for my fellow mankind. I will admit I am surprised at the level of entitlement some people believe they have. All in all though I prefer to believe most people are kind and reasonable.
Few weeks ago a women I work with drove up to their cottage late Friday night and saw a car wrapped around a tree, they stopped to find a women bleeding all over the inside of her car, and all doors locked. they called 911 on cells and luckily for that women an ambulance had been nearby crabbing a thermos of coffee in a near by area from friends.

They stated they had "saved her life" and that she was nearly gone and had been there for some time. They asked how that was possible, cars drive by here 24/7.

Their response:

"Most people just drive right on by and do not care"
Exmortis is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 19th, 2014, 12:02 PM
@jkthomsen9: This planet needs more people like you.

My first job was for the county parks department. When we used to put up signs the ranger insisted no more than three warning signs between the gate and destination for anything. The people that are going to pay attention to the warning will do so at the gate. And the other 80-90% it doesn't make any difference how many signs or warnings there are, they're going to ignore them and loudly proclaim they didn't see them when they get their ticket.

That was 30 years ago. And time after time, his jaded words of wisdom have proven true. And each time, it frustrates me....
AEIOU is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 19th, 2014, 12:56 PM
@jkthomsen9: When we released our first product 16 years ago, I was naive and wanted to believe in my fellow man, so we did things that reflected that belief. Well, reality is truly a harsh mistress, and we were repeatedly "punished" for operating that way. After 16 years, I can only echo the park ranger that @AEIOU references above and his personal experience over the last 30 years. It's unfortunate and the source of significant frustration, but it's the reality we face, and we have to operate within that reality.
rob is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old September 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Well thank you all for your comments. It appears there is a very good business reason for not doing it that way after all. It still amazes me how often a few rotten people ruin it for the rest of us. If they could realize that if we all treated each other with dignity and respect, we would not have to be as guarded in our lives.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old May 25th, 2015, 12:49 PM
It's been almost a year since I posted on this thread and a few things have changed. Like I am now using Realm Works with my group. Here is my synopsis so far.
I have 7 players in my group and (luckily) only 5 of them could afford the cost of $6 for a license (I even gave a $1 discount to a few and absorbed the cost). Though I honestly had to convince three of them to spend the $5 or $6 to use the software. Most of my group is in college and supporting themselves, so times are tough. Right now I also do not have a job and I am saving any money I make for Gencon.
Two of my players opted not to get a license, one is the younger brother of another player and the second just simply didn't want to do it partially because of finances and partially because he hates email (?), though I speculate he doesn't have a computer of any kind (he is very private about that sort of thing).

After all that the players that did join in on this, love it! It gives them information at their fingertips and if they have their laptops they can access the info at the game (at a local game store). Only two of my players have access to the game books. the others do not (again finances), so I am inclined to add some of the game mechanics into Realm Works.
At this time I am not able to access the software at the game because the laptop I have is an old single core pentium M 1.7 ghz and according to the minimum specs Realm Works will not run on that laptop. I can upgrade the laptop to a 2.1ghz (for only $30) but I am not so sure it will still work. I do have a windows tablet that runs a full version of 8.1. But that tablet may not run Realm Works either because it is only a 1.3ghz (up to 1.7ghz) quad core. I may try and set it up on the laptop first and then the tablet as it would be great to be able to use Realm Works at the game.
As a side note I do have another even older laptop with a single core 2.5 ghz desktop processor in it. But that old thing can only run windows XP as it only has 1gb of RAM max, and the battery will not hold a charge.

All in all my players and I are loving Realm Works so far as it provides some really great campaign management. Though I am having my doubts now on how much I really like the software....
You see there is one really bad thing about Realm Works that I don't think even the developers could have forseen, it has shown me all the holes I have in my campaign!!!!
Curses! LOL

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #109 Reply With Quote