Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 30th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
It's a VIZIO E500i-A1 50" 1080p 120Hz LED Smart TV w/ Wi-Fi.

I got it refurb from Woot < $500. I did luck out as I didn't even think about the Viewing Angle before I got it. But this thing worked out perfect! You can view it from the bottom and side just fine, looks the same from all angles.

It also hasn't suffered from weight or heat issues either after a year of use (1 x week for 8+ hours ontime). Even with the glass mounted over it (which some tv's hate because heat rises) it never gets over mid to high 90 degrees. Usually around 90ish. LCD's are so low powered these days, it's not as much an issue. (I was going to mount fans but haven't needed to).

Now, the table is SOLID (made from white ash and weighs about the same as a pool table lol) which means it heavily resists bumps, pushes, etc. So that means the tv doesn't jar/move at all which I suppose could otherwise contribute to the lcd separating from the screen under weight.

All in all, it was a cheaper solution than fixing my Projector that died, with much brighter, higher resolution, nicer picture.
I concur with Jamz' review of the embed TV application on multiple counts.
1> View angle should considered.
2> As Jamz points out, heat build up could be a concern. look at where the TV is designed to vent off heat...
  • I selected two JVC 47" Class, 1080p, Smart, 3D, 120Hz Black Sapphire. Like Jamz found a good deal(<$500), only at Sams Wholesale...
  • We selected JVC because they have a zero bezel width that would allow me to run the TVs end to end with only a 1/2 black bar separating the view(the 1/2 is the culmination of the LCD projection limits.) .
  • This gives us an electronic map 25"x 84" on a table size of 48" x 120"(basically allowing an 11" width around the view area for tablets, dice trays, books, etc.
3> Agree with his appraisal on the brighter, higher resolution as well... even in high light environments.

In reference to Laptop question, Some of my players have their own, with Hero Lab Installed. I also purchased several used Fujitsu T2220 Tablets on ebay for about $100 each for those that don't have one. Linked to a router under the table allows the group to share a common drive to back up their POR files, journals, etc... Have hopes that Realmworks will modernize this to the next level.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #11 Reply With Quote