Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old October 20th, 2014, 06:06 PM
What's the best way to use RW on a USB stick nowadays? I'd like a portable copy to work with on multiple computers without installing. I will have internet connectivity so accessing realms in the cloud shouldn't be a problem.
AEIOU is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 20th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Have you tried copying the Realm Works application folder to a USB drive and seeing what happens? Unless RW uses a DLL that requires registration, it's likely to work. (I'm assuming that the destination computer has the various .NET frameworks installed.)

It'll still write to %APPDATA% and My Documents, so the most you can gain is being able to run RW without admin rights.

Last edited by Parody; October 20th, 2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Finished my thought. Oops.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 20th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks for Asking AEIOU.... I have wondered about that as well, but didn't quite know how to phrase...
Thanks Parody for the idea
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:48 AM
@Parody: Thanks. That's something I'll check into.

I'll expand on my question for clarity. Before we had cloud synch in place, there were specific instructions on how to use sneakernet to work on multiple devices. I am mostly curious as to whether any of that information has changed. It would be wonderful if this information was included in the manual or FAQ.

I have three specific cases that I'm curious about.
1) Using on a USB stick to just demo to someone on their computer.
2) Using on a USB stick to do actual campaign work on a random laptop.
3) Using on a USB stick to work on a Surface tablet.

Many months ago, I installed RW on my home computer and it works and I don't think about it. So what is required to use on multiple computers? Admin rights? .NET? Can .NET be on the stick? Could I run RW from a cloud storage location? Can I redirect saves to the stick? What are the drawbacks to running off of a stick? What might be advantages of this setup? Does RW use a DLL that requires registration?

On my home computer it was very straightforward. But going portable is outside my knowledge base so I'm apprehensive. Talk me in off the ledge, please.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
...there were specific instructions on how to use sneakernet to work on multiple devices. I am mostly curious as to whether any of that information has changed.
I'm guessing not. Were the instructions basically "log into RW once while on the Internet to get it to create databases, then restore a backup of your main one"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I have three specific cases that I'm curious about.
1) Using on a USB stick to just demo to someone on their computer.
2) Using on a USB stick to do actual campaign work on a random laptop.
3) Using on a USB stick to work on a Surface tablet.
The only difference between these are that you don't need to back up/sync changes from #1. #2 and #3 are identical. (I'm assuming it's not an RT Surface; Realm Works won't run on those.)

To the lightning round!
  • So what is required to use on multiple computers? The easiest way to use it on multiple computers is to install it on all of them. Also make sure you have your own user account, since RW databases are tied to Windows accounts. Otherwise, a copy of the Realm Works folder seems to work.
  • Admin rights? It appears not in my tests. I tried running it using a limited user in a VM where RW is not installed and all the basic features worked. I have not done extensive testing, however.
  • .NET? Yes, .NET 4.0.
  • Can .NET be on the stick? No, the proper version of the Framework needs to be installed on the machine.
  • Could I run RW from a cloud storage location? Assuming that the cloud storage is copied to a local drive, then yes.
  • Can I redirect saves to the stick? No, the database location is hard-coded in the application. (There's threads for moving the database location.)
  • What are the drawbacks to running off of a stick? It doesn't really save you much. Stuff might not work. Still writes into the user folders.
  • What might be advantages of this setup? I'm not sure. I guess you don't have to install it?
  • Does RW use a DLL that requires registration? I'm not completely sure, but it appears to work in my quick test so I'm guessing no. I have not done extensive testing, however.

RW wasn't designed to be portable, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems. Let us know what you find out.

Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 21st, 2014, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
[*]What are the drawbacks to running off of a stick? It doesn't really save you much. Stuff might not work. Still writes into the user folders.[*]What might be advantages of this setup? I'm not sure. I guess you don't have to install it?RW wasn't designed to be portable, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks for the research Parody... Not sure of AEIOU's perspective,
The highlighted reason for me would be above...
In my travels there are times where I could utilize a bit of free time working on my passions (realms game stuff, etc) but the location sometimes does not allow for personal pcs or loading of non job related programs on client systems, so an alternate "portable" solution for me would be useful from time to time assuming that this "method" could be re-synced back to the "collective" so to speak....
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 21st, 2014, 02:08 PM
At that point I'd rather use pencil and paper for creative work. Why risk getting fired if they really don't want you to do something? Sure, such rules are generally stupid (and historically I haven't had trouble getting admin rights to my work machines) but we only have so much control. :(

Also there isn't much you can do if the site blocks LWD's websites. My last job did.

Last edited by Parody; October 21st, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 21st, 2014, 10:01 PM
LOL well its less to do with "risk of termination" and more to do with me just being respectful of the local IT logistics / guides.... Most IT staffs are woefully understaffed and saves the hoop jumping for them and myself if it were "portable" (ie loaded on a flash or external drive) than to gain access approvals to install outside softwares.

Mostly, there is the concern on their end of virus piggy-backs, but also web access to "unapproved sites" as well.

The truly comical part is (IMO) that from a virus risk their methods are "questionable" since you CAN use a flash or external drive..... but I just try to play within the "Rules" so to speak.

And as you suggest I have resorted for years of ole tried and true.... "quill and parchment"..... just hate all that re-typing (LAZY here). Have played abit with voice recognition software to over come that ... but seems dragonspeak doesn't come in "Texan" yet...
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote