Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

TRO1984

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I recently installed Ubuntu 11.10, got Wine setup so I could use Hero Lab. The only problem is whenever I try to close a window or do something that would close a window within Hero Lab, it shuts Hero Lab down....

How do I solve this?

*Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is with pathfinder.

Last edited by TRO1984; February 9th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
TRO1984 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 9th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hmm... I am far from an expert on Wine, but this sounds like it's either an exception issue where the program is dying while trying to process the window closing event or it's a case where the command to close the window (are you doing it by keyboard? Clicking a button? Clicking the X in the corner?) gets repeated. I seem to remember there's a way to turn on a diagnostic log for Wine to find out what system calls are being made prior to termination. That may be enlightening.

There are a few posts regarding using Wine including one guy who's running Pathfinder on Ubuntu 11.10, but I don't see any solutions for your problem on first blush.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TRO1984

Old February 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
It's when I click the "Close" or "Add and Close" buttons that this happens, as well as happenning when trying to load a portfolio(I have some from before I installed Ubuntu)

This is what I get when I log the process of starting it up:

Code:
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (30000): STUB
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (30000): STUB
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 30000
fixme:wininet:HTTPREQ_SetOption unsupported without active connection
fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache - don't know what to do!
fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache - don't know what to do!
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
  Serial number of failed request:  127615
  Current serial number in output stream:  127709
That's when I run it up to crash. The "XError of Failed request" didn't show up if I just loading Hero Lab.
TRO1984 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
TRO1984

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:06 PM
After a bit of testing, using the keyboard results in the same issue.
TRO1984 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mindcloud

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I was testing ubuntu 11.10 with Hero labs and I was experiencing the same problem.
Mindcloud is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Looks similar to Maloric's post. The last time we had a major Wine issue, we got it registered as a bug in Wine and I think that was what eventually led to the fix in Wine that let Hero Lab run. The same might be necessary here.

While it's non-ideal, I have used VirtualBox to run HeroLab under Wine in the past. It's free and fairly intuitive.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TRO1984

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
OK, I'll look into it, thanks!
TRO1984 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old February 9th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Might also want to look into Wineskin and see if that works. You can change the version of WINE being used on the fly, so it means you can find one that works and stick with it.

http://wineskin.doh123.com/
TehBagder is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
TRO1984

Old February 10th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBagder View Post
Might also want to look into Wineskin and see if that works. You can change the version of WINE being used on the fly, so it means you can find one that works and stick with it.

http://wineskin.doh123.com/
OK, thanks I'll check this out when i get home later.

The problem with Virtual Box is going to be getting a Windows 7 disc to get it from(I think I have one somewhere around from when i bought the laptop, but I have no idea where it is)

BTW: Thanks SO much for everyone's help here, I've tried several different help forums and this is the only one that's been able to give me some better options to explore. I appreciate it.
TRO1984 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
TRO1984

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
UPDATE:

I decided before going too crazy, to try an older version of Wine, and low and behold, it's working fine so far.
TRO1984 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote