Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

GThiel

Old December 9th, 2016, 07:36 AM
I'm putting the spells from the core book into a mechanics topic and am wondering how others handle them.

In Mechanics, I put a high level topic called "spell Lists" under which I have topics of 0 Level to 9 Level and am entering spells under the appropriate spell level.

However, some spells have different levels depending on the class using it. Animal Messenger is ist level for Rangers and 2nd for Bards and Druids. I put an entry under 1st level called "Animal Messenger 1" for Rangers and an entry under 2nd level called "Animal Messenger 2" for Bards and Druids. This I feel is less than optimum. Suggestions on making this work better??

Thanks in advance!!
GThiel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Jujutsuka

Old December 9th, 2016, 07:55 AM
I considered this same issue, and decided that I am going to wait for the content market to come out this month. I am hoping that they will have the OGL for DL, and this will allow us to import the spell entries into our individual mechanics databases. If my hopes come to fruition when LW opens the CM, than a lot of the heavy lifting should be done for us. If not, I plan to perform manual entry at that time. Ultimately, if waiting a couple weeks saves me hours of data entry, I am all for it.
Jujutsuka is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 9th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Now that we have standardized, official frameworks finally (this only took 2+ years...), I'm now starting to look at mechanics. My spells will be alphabetical with snippets for class and level so I can filter on either of them.

Then I'll stuff the spells into containers.

Spells - A
.....Alarm
.....Animal Messenger
Spells - B
Spells - C

And I'll add a text snippet entry for each container with a spreadsheet of the spells as a summary (which of course automatically links). I may do multiple sorts here for "by class" or "by level by class".
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 9th, 2016, 09:36 AM
You can sort of see mine in this video.

https://youtu.be/WYOdbUyRB-U

I have it entered as....

Spells - Book Name
> A - Book Abbreviation
>> Spell Name
> B - Book Abbreviation
>> Spell Name

Don't do the spell level in the name. If you do that the spell won't link in any of the content you create as developers won't be using that naming convention.

I would put that in the prefix or suffix.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old December 9th, 2016, 10:25 AM
If you look at how the mechanics are structured for a Pathfinder system realm, it looks like LWD is creating a single spell article (e.g. "Animal Messenger") and assigning it tags for each separate spell list ("Ranger 1", "Bard 2" and "Druid 2").

You'd probably be best off by creating a single Spells article to contain all spells and then separate articles for "Ranger Spells", "Druid Spells", etc. that each act as an index for the appropriate spell lists. Each article could contain the class list subdivided by level, linking to the listed spells. It would keep things pretty straightforward and avoid duplicate articles.

If you really want to duplicate spell articles, consider using suffixes so that the spell would appear as something like "Animal Messenger (Ranger 1)" and "Animal Messenger (Bard & Druid 2)".
Dr_Automaton is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
HippyCraig

Old December 9th, 2016, 08:08 PM
I would suggest creating tag domains for spell level and class and attach that to the spell article this would reduce duplication and make it easier to search
HippyCraig is offline   #6 Reply With Quote