Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Parody

Old August 15th, 2015, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Most people should notice an improvement in general performance with windows 10 in almost every aspect of heir day to day lives.
I wouldn't go that far. Performance-wise, Windows 10 has been no different than Windows 8.1 on my dockable tablet. My friends who have tried it haven't posted about any super performance changes either.

On that upgraded tablet I've also run into a couple of quirks that make 10 more annoying than 8.1, like how now I have to tap some of the on-screen buttons a couple of times to make them register when logging in. For now I'm choosing to ignore them as I know there's some driver and BIOS updates coming, but we'll see how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
Would that that were true. I spent 12 hours yesterday with Microsoft support after Windows 10 made an absolute hash of my desktop computer and ruined my primary account - to which RW is tied on that machine.
You're braver than I am. :)

My main desktop's going to stay Windows 7 for at least the next few months while various bugs, driver issues, and misfeatures get worked out. For example, I have more than 512 items in my Start Menu, which Windows 10's Startish menu thing can't handle at present. (What were they thinking?)

Windows 10 is much closer to what Windows 8(.1) for Tablets should have been. If you're on Windows 8.1 on a tablet or a secondary computer then consider doing the upgrade. Otherwise I'd wait. You've got a year.

If/When you do go for it, treat it like any other OS change: back everything up and download the latest versions of your drivers and useful utility software onto an external device.

Last edited by Parody; August 15th, 2015 at 03:37 AM.
Parody is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
So, the issues (for me at least) seems to be tied with One Drive (WTF?) and it's all tied with Home Sharing and such. I found the below and followed it and it seemed to work.

I wasn't able to skip any steps, it seemed to be the final trick was enabling access to the home share at the end. Adding individual user works but is always removed.

I REALLY hate when something behind the scenes is overwriting what I explicitly set as an Administrator. Sad to say, if it wasn't for this my Windows 10 experience would have been rather nice...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...40d9576?auth=1

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old August 15th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I REALLY hate when something behind the scenes is overwriting what I explicitly set as an Administrator.
I so totally agree.

I took a look at the link and I think I'll need to be well awake to do all that, plus have a copy printed off so I can be sure I don't miss a step. It's gone eight at night here and I'm not firing on all cylinders at this time of night.

Install of Windows 10 went fine on my laptop, but I don't use my laptop for email because I have a desktop for things like that and it was the desktop install that went belly-up.

The only thing which went a bit awry on the laptop was the installation of the only app I've found that allows one to use an iPad as an extended screen. The driver for that went a bit waffy and hung (and hung and hung) without ever resolving to anything. Luckily the seller had a super secret driver update so I installed that and we're all hunky dory now.

Having said that, I've not yet upgraded my anti-virus on that machine. All bets are off with anti-virus, I think those programs have given me more trouble over the years than any number of viruses.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old August 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I've been enjoying Windows 10 so far a great deal. The system seems to actually boot up faster (despite all my startup programs). Though I have noticed a lot of those programs that would normally load on the start up screen are now loading after the desktop is loaded up.
At first I had a problem with my USB 3.0 ports but they seem to have fixed that in the last week. None of the peripherals that were connected to my USB 3.0 ports would work properly when the system was starting, I would have unplug then replug the USB connector to get it to work. Nothing else worked, not even clicking "check for changes" in device manager. Another problem I had was with AVG and it locking out certain things like my ability to control my firewall settings. When I upgraded to Windows 10 I could not connect via remote desktop to this PC (because apparently AVG turned off my file sharing options when I upgraded).
Cortana can be lots of fun and works great with reminders and calendar settings, just setting her up at first was a real pain because my wireless headset was connected via USB 3.0...lol.

But it is all working great now and in fact have been upgrading the family computers to W10.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Talley Darkstar

Old August 15th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
If anyone can't open RW because of the "backups" issue, it's a permissions thing.

Navigate to where you can see the folder which contains the backup files, right-click, properties, security, edit, and grant full permissions to users as well as system and administrators.

That should sort you.
Well, at least I'm not the only one who's having the issue...had...real life has manifested and I barely feel up to getting on the computer let alone attempting to see if I can fix or find the the issue.

Edit: And hopefully now fixed.

Last edited by Talley Darkstar; August 15th, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Talley Darkstar is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 15th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talley Darkstar View Post
And hopefully now fixed.
Did the problem/solution involve OneDrive?

(I'm trying to get a better handle on common problems as I get roped into helping friends and family. It'd be good to know what your final problem and solution were, if it sticks. :(

Parody is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old August 15th, 2015, 10:38 PM
FYI, I noticed a general improvement in performance but not a great improvement with windows 10. It mostly has to do with start up and other small things so it's nothing to scream about, but there is a slight improvement.

On the problem a few have mentioned with the "permissions thing". I believe this issue has been happening since windows 7. It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't affect everyone. I know I had that problem in windows 7. The current fix of giving admin rights to certain users makes me slightly weary. It seems like there should be a better fix than that.
I also had an issue with a lot of the folders in my other drives becoming read only every so often (this was in windows 8 but I have not encountered it yet in w10), which I have been told is related to the above issue. I have also had this problem since windows 7. No one can say what causes these issues but they happen often enough that most PC techs know exactly what to do to circumvent them.....

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).

Last edited by Madmaxneo; August 15th, 2015 at 10:42 PM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Talley Darkstar

Old August 16th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Did the problem/solution involve OneDrive?

(I'm trying to get a better handle on common problems as I get roped into helping friends and family. It'd be good to know what your final problem and solution were, if it sticks. :(
Not for OneDrive, but for whatever reason, I updated to Windows 10 and was able to get access to RW, and then hours later, it started telling me access to my backups was denied despite not doing anything that had anything to do with permissions, contacted support and nothing was really resolved, so I came to the boards to see if anyone else was having the same issue and I did find it.
Talley Darkstar is offline   #28 Reply With Quote