Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Golo

Old September 29th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Its the end of the month, any more news on HLO Beta?

Thanks!
Golo is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
kellhorn

Old September 29th, 2017, 01:04 PM
As is usual with developers, take all date estimates with roughly a pound of salt.
kellhorn is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 29th, 2017, 02:46 PM
You should see news announcements early next week!
BJ is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old September 30th, 2017, 05:55 PM
@kellhorn,

You take that back, I resemble that remark.

Whenever my boss or another department asks me for a time estimate, I take the amount of time I think it will take me, double it and add three weeks.

This has the added benefit of instead of people being mad that you can't keep your promises, it gives you days, sometime weeks of screwing off and playing when you should be slinging code.

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
kellhorn

Old September 30th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
@kellhorn,

You take that back, I resemble that remark.

Whenever my boss or another department asks me for a time estimate, I take the amount of time I think it will take me, double it and add three weeks.

This has the added benefit of instead of people being mad that you can't keep your promises, it gives you days, sometime weeks of screwing off and playing when you should be slinging code.

Dave
I just multiply mine by 1.5 for my boss. Then wind up having half the team send me questions or things that need fixed with a higher priority that they don't trust anybody else to do. The joys of being an infrastructure developer working from translations of specifications. I think I actually managed to get one project done in the time I expected in the last few months. Of course I was at work until 2 a.m... Everyone should be patient with the Lone Wolf developers. You don't want to use a product made from 2 am code.
kellhorn is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old October 6th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
You should see news announcements early next week!
I suspect that we are now late next week, any updates?
talsharien is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
kenderbard

Old October 8th, 2017, 12:12 AM
I'm a little uncomfortable that the open beta sign up didn't seem to star out my password when I signed up for it. Are our passwords not going to be encrypted?
kenderbard is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 8th, 2017, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenderbard View Post
I'm a little uncomfortable that the open beta sign up didn't seem to star out my password when I signed up for it. Are our passwords not going to be encrypted?
I can't speak specifically to the back end, but in general, I can tell you that what you see on your screen is completely independent of whether or not there's encryption.

Masking your password with stars is a purely visual effect, typically done to prevent people around you from seeing your password, wandering eyes that might be looking over your shoulder or sitting next to you.

Encryption is done during transmission and/or storage of data.

The two processes are completely independent of each other. You can have either one without the other.

Don't ever rely on password masking to be a reliable sign that your password is encrypted.
EightBitz is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 8th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
I can't speak specifically to the back end, but in general, I can tell you that what you see on your screen is completely independent of whether or not there's encryption.

Masking your password with stars is a purely visual effect, typically done to prevent people around you from seeing your password, wandering eyes that might be looking over your shoulder or sitting next to you.

Encryption is done during transmission and/or storage of data.

The two processes are completely independent of each other. You can have either one without the other.

Don't ever rely on password masking to be a reliable sign that your password is encrypted.
Yep all 100% true.

In this case the important part is to make sure that you have a verified HTTPS connection. Firefox and chrome give nice warnings about being on unsecured servers and submitting information.

In this case look for a green Lock next to the URL in Firefox, Chrome or Safari. And well if your using Edge/Explore first solution is download Firefox or Chrome.

Image2.jpg

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
kenderbard

Old October 8th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Yep all 100% true.

In this case the important part is to make sure that you have a verified HTTPS connection. Firefox and chrome give nice warnings about being on unsecured servers and submitting information.

In this case look for a green Lock next to the URL in Firefox, Chrome or Safari. And well if your using Edge/Explore first solution is download Firefox or Chrome.

Attachment 5590
Ah okay, thank you both!
kenderbard is offline   #70 Reply With Quote